Watchtower schools--why the consolidation?

by wannaexit 15 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Since interest in 'reaching out' is waning among qualified brothers, 'nu-lite' has revealed how to get the sisters and older JW's to 'reach out' for privileges. Throw 'em a bone so to speak. Something has to be offered to keep up interest in this ever changing cult.

eyeuse2badub

• Scott77
    Scott77
    "His mother came with him to pick out an apartment, which she pays for...he is still not working anywhere. I guess his mom supports him...What kind of applicants are they getting for MTS? Go figure."
    dropoffyourkeylee

The Watchtower inspite of having enormous riches, does not pay a minimum wage to its graduates. MTS graduates are expected to feed for themselves. When family members volunteer to pay the bill, its consdered a Jehovah's WTB$ blessings. What a shame! The Watchtower live off at the expense of others yet its way rich and selfish.

Scott77

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

When they announced this, the single sisters in the congregation were sure very enthusiastic and happy about this. Even the speaker made a joking comment about that. So what SFPW and Daniel1555 said about playing matchmaking could be true, but most likely its either from lack of applicants or/and simplifying and downsizing of resources (they have been doing that a lot lately).

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Thanks for the comments. I wonder too, if its a knee jerk reaction to something from the outside- say complaints that arrangement is discriminatory against women. We know historically women are considered a lower class, if not the lowest . Is this a way of rebutting naysayers but saying : look at us we include everyone in our schools.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Just an observation, the Gilead School DID occasionally admit single sisters as well as single brothers, though the vast majority were couples. I knew one sister who went to Gilead in the 70's and was assigned to a country in S America. Turns out she married a local brother and left the missionary work in just a few years, but stayed there in that country.

• blondie
    blondie

In days long ago in the WTS, Gilead was supposed to supply experienced preachers and teachers to countries that had few jws and not so educated enough to run the branch. As time has gone by, the number of local jws has increased in those outlying countries, local brothers with some education were trained to be COs, DOs, and branch staff. Since sisters cannot be administrators or other such positions, single sister were not needed as much but brothers mostly married to be sure they were more likely to stay in their assignment. These country did not preachers any more, there were enough locally. Only single sisters who came and paid their own way were welcome.

I was told in the mid 80's that if I wanted to get into Gilead, I had to marry a qualified brother and be married 2 years and then apply. Sisters really had no value by then, especially single ones.

Only 3 single sisters went to Gilead that time, and their father was at Bethel, along with several of their brothers. Two married brothers they met in Gilead and one was single for awhile...they had pull you see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit