A real difficult congregation???

by quellycatface 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Myself and my family have had some odd experiences in our current congregation. I have'nt been to meetings since September because of this.

1. The CO told the elder who was studying with my husband that he was doing it as an "academic exercise." My husband is very intelligent, been in the military, has a degree and a masters and a good job. He was very discouraged and has now decided it's a great idea but the people mess it up. This elder is a real wide boy and opens his mouth before he thinks, not a great quality for a shepherd???

2. The brother and sister who studied with me (i had been inactive), kept pushing me to join the Ministerial School and become a regular pioneer. I have chronic bipolar and struggle anyway!! When I asked to stop the study, they came over to see me (I was away, thank goodness). I changed my mobile number only for it to be given out by the elder in the above paragraph!!! Data protection problem, I thought??

Some sisters in the KH only talk to my husband and ignore me. Most of the elders very distant.

I asked to be sent some new bibles but told I had to come to the KH to collect them.

I did want to go on the Ministry but as I am depressed/anxious felt the Min School was too much. I am told I had to be on the school first!!! Not come across this before???

What shall I do?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Well if you want to know the truth about JWs then you are at the right place here.

It's a cult, so try and avoid being sucked into it. I was born into it, baptised at 16 and quit age 41 after lots and lots of research.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

run away while you can.

• Over%forme
    Over%forme

Stay away from the KH.

Keep coming to this site

and you will see why.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

So, quellycatface: where is the love that Jesus said would be an identifying mark of his people? Not at the KH, that's for sure. To be fair, I met some great people in my 30+ years as witness, but looking back, I'm sure they were just great people to begin with, not because they were JW's. Don't go anywhere near the Ministry 'school'. It will only add to your discomfort and stress levels.

Just keep asking questions. You will find lots of ammo and ideas here.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They are trying to make you fit into their mold of being a "good" JW.

Obviously, with your health situation it not surprising that you would not want to be in the Theocratic Ministry School and give talks, nor become a pioneer. These are just the very things that could "push you over the edge" in your illness. The fact that even the Sisters keep their distance from you (but not your husband) gives me the impression that they have judged you over your illness as a "bit off". JWs -- even the elders -- typically have no kind of training or education for dealing with any kind of depression or illness. Their answer is The Kingdom/New World will resolve everything.

Please note that most of us here have had some issues with the Congregation, the WT Society, and/or its representatives; or have doctrinal issues that we feel cannot be discussed openly with the WT Clergy for fear of negative ramifications. You won't find much support FOR the WT Organization here.

Good luck,

Doc

• steve2
    steve2

QCF, sounds like you are having a rough time in your kingdom hall. Makes you wonder, huh? Look, as you say, your husband's an intelligent man and they treat him as if he is a simpleton. You've done your best to keep your distance from them - but, hey, they're on a mission. You mention that you have bipolar (disorder) - it is vital that you stick to your prescribed medication and look after yourself. Whatever you decide to do - or not do - you must make your mental health a top priority.

On another (but related) matter, it is not clear from your post whether you view the organization as "the truth". If you do, then your other priorities will be in accord with your conviction that it is "the truth". On the other hand, if you have doubts and misgivings about the organization and wonder whether it is "the truth", your priorities will be around doing some necessary "making sure of all things". This site is great for allowing informed and intelligent discussion on all things pertaining to the organization.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

That's the problem with the JWs. They are the worst place for people with mental conditions and chronic depression. Instead of pushing you toward getting real help in these struggles, they exacerbate the problems by guilting you into going into field service. That's the last thing you need.

If you haven't already, go to a physician and get diagnosed. Get on medication and present your 'doctor's note' to the elders. They are not going to like it much, but my guess is that they'll ease up on the pressure if you confront them with something like that.

• sspo
    sspo

Most of us were in for decades and it's been good pulling away from the Watchtower.

If you are experiencing depression you are no good to them. They will only put up with it for a while and then they will avoid you since they do not have the skills to deal with your problem.

STOP GOING TO THE MEETINGS, get some help and enjoy life

• tiki
    tiki

There is no reason at all why you should join the school if you feel you do not want to. Absolutely no reason whatsoever. When I was in I knew of women whose personalities were such that they simply could not do the stage thing and they never did. I personally was in it for a very long time, but long before my fade I had quit it. It wasn't worth the aggravation. Getting up there for talks was totally nerve-wracking and served absolutely no useful purpose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit