Which vacation would the Society prefer a Witness take?

by LogCon 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LogCon
    LogCon

Of the three following vacations, which one would the Watchtower Society prefer that a Witness take?

1 - A three week working volunteer vacation in Bethlehem, to help the International Palestinian Youth League and the Alternative Information Center, [ a joint Palestinian and Israeli Activist organization] to turn a former Israeli Army base into a residential compound with a school, a hospital, a youth house and a series of gardens.

2 - A three week working volunteer vacation to help the local food bank collect, stock and distribute food to the needy. Duties would include preparing tasty and nutritious meals for local residents including families.

3 - A three week cruise from Seattle to Hawaii, enjoying all the amenities of the luxury liner, as well as seven days in Hawaii enjoying the scenery, the restaurants and the hot, sandy beaches.

If you are able to make more detailed comments I would greatly appreciate it. Your comments may include:

- What the Elders would say

- What other Witnesses would say

- What if you took your family along with you?

- What if you encouraged others to join you or recomment that they have the same vacation?

- What if you stated you would take the same kind of vacation every year?

- Et cetera, Et cetera, Et cetera

• Comatose
    Comatose

I like what you did here. For the first two you'd be pooped on for not doing "real" life saving work in the ministry instead. For the last well we do need some relaxation... You'd be gossiped and sniped to death by all in the congregation for the first two.

Pathetic!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Goodness gracious. We know there is only one "right" answer. A theocratic vacation!

http://bethelcoachtours.com/

• zound
    zound

If by distribute food you mean distribute "spiritual" food and the vacinity is in proximity to a Khall so you can still go to the meetings - then the answer is number two.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

You didn't include doing volunteer work at a blood bank.

• blondie
    blondie

1) Go out to seldom worked territory in the US (or other areas in appropriate countries) for 2 weeks or a month on your vacation

2) Go to need greater territory

Now that would realistically round out the choices.

I know many elders who take the cruise route and no one dares criticize them or their wealthy friends. I remember a travel group that was organized and over 50 couples went. There was gambling on the boat and it was never remarked on or that they missed the meetings and spent too much time over drinking.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes, we've even had parts on assemblies complete with skits about how families and others should structure their vacation around visiting a DC, aux pioneering or a trip to bethel.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

What always struck me was that a lot of JWs had big group holidays where half the congregation would go camping together. I never went because I could never understand how you could spend all this time with these people every week and then go on holidays with them too!

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

My parents take a 12 hour road trip with other JW couples, to enjoy a time share that one of them owns somewhere in the US. (Yet it is too far for my dad to drive 70 minutes to my house for a family gathering).

I have no idea what people would say, but I'm sure they would only aprove #3. Any and all resources you have should go to theocratic ministry work.

Would there be consequences for supporting another cause in such an overt way?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If you go on vacation, you are supposed to first locate the Kingdumb Hell at your destination. You are then supposed to attend all the boasting sessions and fully support field circus in that area. And nothing else. No Zorbing. No climbing the Sky Pillar. No riding the rides at Disneyland. No skiing in the Alps. No viewing the Northern Lights from Oslo. No cruises in the Mediterranean. No diving in Aruba. Just boasting sessions and field circus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit