Please correct these sentences.

by compound complex 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

CoCo: Nancy's not a person to trifle with

That is something up with which I will not put!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Oubliette:

Hi there!

Would you like to throw in a few commas and hyphens in order to make the sentence in question correct?!?!?!? One clue has already been given.

Thanks.

CC

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Shall we layer the trifles to make a dessert
    ???

• compound complex
    compound complex

Before dessert, there must be an endeavor made to correct the sentence.

In this case, I must insist on "dinner" before dessert!

BTW: the saying is "just deserts" (not desserts).

Otherwise, I am a pushover.

CC

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

What a dreadful couplet! Here's my whack at "fixing" it:

In the '60s, Bruce, my friend, used to eat his lunch midday, which makes sense: it's noon. He always bought a footlong hot dog for twenty-five cents and saved one-third for Buster, his dog, who loved his master with relish.

However, I would prefer to completely rewrite it more like this:

In the '60s, my friend Bruce used to eat his lunch at noon. He always bought a footlong hot dog for twenty-five cents. He would save one-third for his dog Buster. Buster loved his master very much. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, especially in the "Third World."

It mustard (must hurt) for you to read this as I pun with much relish. I'll ketchup with you later!

Did you hear the one about the Buddhist monk and the New York hot dog vendor?

The monk said to the vendor, "Please make me one with everything!"

• compound complex
    compound complex

EXCELLENT, Oubliette!

The rewrite certainly added clarity. KUDOS for a perfect score.

Only a Buddhist . . .

CC

One of my lines (reflecting yours): If you don't cut the mustard, you'll never ketchup, and I know you don't relish being in a pickle!

Groan . . .

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

CoCo

i really do try to behave myself when i read your posts but for some reason I get inspired to craziness. After oubliette said that I was going wibble, I thought okay that's true He's trying to do a serious grammatical test so I'll back off and then guess what.

cut the mustard, never ketchup and being in a pickle

i feel my wibble nature screaming to get out

ND

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning, dear Nancy:

Your flying off into a wordy craze is quite understandable, given the censuring of thought and action to which we had been long subjected.

Carry on!

CC

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Nancy, if you feel your "wibble nature screaming,"

It could just mean you're dreaming.

Things aren't always what they're seeming.

Still, my mind's forever meming ....

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Creativity is catching. Whenever I am not feeling creative, I just go to a museum or gallery, it always gets the creative juices flowing again. It doesn't even have to be at all similar to my creative endeavors, it still inspires me. CC is just causing you to connect to that part of your brain, your creativity was there, just waiting to be unleashed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit