MY 10 YEAR OLD COMES HOME FROM SPECIAL ASSEMBLY DAY AND SAYS...

by PaintedToeNail 28 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Fact is, we had a similar experience at a DistConv where teen HS girl said she turned down a full scholarship to the most prestigious University in the State. We know this family. NOT a genius kid. How does one get offered a scholarship for which they did not apply? I don't think that happens. Sounds more like another "twisting" of the facts. More like HS counselor suggested applying because "you might get a full scholarship" and she turned it down the application.

I participated in several of those "twisted" real-life experiences.

Doc

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Yea, I was a JW of the 60's and forsook a university opportunity. I pioneered and got married. Yippee for me! i didn't discouraged my kids from higher education even though I was an elder during the time my kids were graduationg high school. Today, I am actively encouraging my grandchildren to go to college get an education and a good career. I never tell my grandchildren that the big A is right around the corner. In fact, I never talk to them at all bout WTBTS stuff.

eyeuse2badub

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

"Out of the mouths of babes!"

• whathappened
    whathappened

There is hope for your daughter! She has her own brain and is using it! Wonderful!

• belbab
    belbab

How about biblical situations? Daniel and his young buddies, were sent by the 'governing body" of the Jewish elders as a guarantee for Jewish subjection to the Superior Authorities of the Babylon Empire. They received "scolarships" and recieved extensive education and became civil servants in the Babylonian government.

Yeah, and today the Governing Body of Jah's yes men, take bright students and send them to law schools to learn how to rob pedophile victims.

belbab, of the missed opportunities class.

• satinka
    satinka

Yup, smart girl! Smart parents, too, to encourage such "independent" thinking!

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

Yes, I agree with satinka; smart parents, too. Just mentioning wanting to go on to higher education had my parents break out in hives. I'm 34 years old now, and just finished my first year of university! Yay me!!!

gorgia

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Thanks everyone! She loves science and wants to be a scientist of some sort. She is good at math and loves reading, we can't keep her in books! I do encourage her to keep thinking about college, as she really wants to go.

• tiki
    tiki

Desirous of Change - spot on. It's all a crock - at least in the US - it is no easy thing to get scholarships - there is stiff competition, and most prestigious colleges are looking for kids that have a good track record of extracurricular activities in addition to good grades. There are financial hoops that have to be jumped through - and nobody just gets handed a free ride these days.. I think a lot of those "experiences" are wishful thinking. Those kids might have had a chance to apply for a scholarship - but that is no guarantee of actually getting it. And given the utter lack of participation in after-school activities and talent development, the witness kids are at an even greater disadvantage in actually getting the $$ gifting.

People have to save the kids whole life to pay for tuition these days.....the fds appears to have a rather warped view of the reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit