First Post - Introduction

by Syme 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Syme
    Syme

Hello to all of you! This is my first post on jwn, and I would like to take a few lines to introduce myself.

I currently am still in the organization, though my conviction in the last 1-2 years is more or less agnostic/atheist (closer to atheist). I am an ex-elder and MTS graduate, having served in another 3 congregations, apart from my home one.

The reason for the above-mentioned conviction shift has to do with science and rational, logical thinking generally, and with the grand theory of Evolution, specifically. It took me long, endless sessions of hard reading and study of serious scientific literature (plus cross-matching all the quotes and claims in JW evolution-related literature), to finally make the shift from utterly firm religious belief to doubt, and then to lack of religious faith. Reading of so-called “apostate” material had an extremely minor, if not null, contribution to this shift. No, it was rather pure rational thinking that led with mathematical precision to loss of religious faith.

To put it in Darwin’s words to his religious wife: “The loss of religious faith is a slow and fragile process like the raising of continents. What can I say to you except that the process now seems complete.”

I have a post to share that has to do with JW’s and Communist Parties similarities. I am thinking of posting it on the “Beliefs, doctrines and practices” thread. If another thread would be more appropriate, please let me know!

Since English is not my mother tongue, please forgive some difficulties in reading that my writing might cause

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Awesome!

Glad you woke up.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Welcome Syme !

I am looking forward to hearing more from you.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Welcome Syme,

You're English writing skills are remarkable, better than some who are educated in English speaking countries. Syme I would like to ask you, have you ever experienced injustice in the congregation or seen it, especially as an active elder?

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Syme, welcome to JWN.

I have long been convinced that science and evolution in particular is an effective tool to help some JWs. Once you see the deception in what the Watchtower writes about evolution its impossible to take anything they say seriously.

I am looking forward to your comments on communism, I am currently reading a book on the events of 1989 and I was impressed by some of the similarities with the mental oppression in the Watchtower.

The Current State of the Watchtower & the Cynicism of Soviet Communism ...

We Played along With Our Own Oppression...

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

welcome Syme, great to see you here!

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Welcome, great first post.

• DJS
    DJS

Welcome!!!

Your journey to non-theism, as I have pointed on on this forum several times, is fairly typical. You are a much welcome addition to the theist/non-theist dicussions.

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

I've only been here a couple of heartbeats myself, but welcome.

This place is a Hitchenssend.

• jemba
    jemba

Welcome!! Well written post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit