first T-day dinner this year

by Hortensia 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Oh well, it's fun to joke about it.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

How many turkey dinners did you end up eating? Happy turkey day!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I only had two turkey dinners after all. One last week and one today. I went to the park today and shared in the community dinner. There were almost as many volunteers as guests, and it was very loud organized chaos. I had a lot of fun people-watching, and the food was good. I went with a friend and we gossiped a bit about everyone, mostly admiring the fancy sweaters they were wearing. I'd say that about half the people there were homeless, including a large contingent of what I think of as the "dirty people." They're young, they live in the open air, apparently never bathe, and seem OK with that homeless aimless lifestyle. I listened to some of their conversations and they were pretty interesting, mostly about being "pure" and not artifical, being vegan. I noticed that they scarfed down the turkey dinner, though. We are all less refined in our preferences when we're hungry, I guess.

A homeless woman sat across from us. I introduced myself and at first thought she wouldn't talk to us at all, but eventually she thawed and had a softly elegant way of speaking that surprised me. We had a good conversation. I'm one of those obnoxious people who smiles a lot and forces others to smile and chat.

Delicious food, all the usual stuff and then pumpkin pie. Good coffee, strong enough to put hair on your chest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit