How the Watchtower Society Views Women

by daringhart13 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

daringheart13:

Very good thread. Their ridiculous attitudes about women is one of the primary reasons I walked away from the religion. I felt like I was swimming against the tide the whole time I was there.

144001:

Yes, it is sad that the desperate women pounce on any man with a pulse. Any woman over 30 with a brain knows she has to get the hell out of there and find a decent man outside.

I can understand your annoyance. But, don't be too quick to paint every woman there with the same brush. I had an experience years ago where some visiting speaker blurted out "I don't want to get married" when I went up to him to innocently congratulate him on a very good talk. I was dumbfounded to say the least and made sure I never said boo to any visiting man there ever again. I was shocked and wondered what the hell he thought about himself since he wasn't even good looking.

Julia Orwell:

You are right about them thinking married women shouldn't have jobs. Maybe this idiot mentality was okay in the 1950s, but not any more.

How do you think they viewed somebody like me: single and supporting myself?? Resentfully. That's how I was viewed by the small-minded idiots there who expected single women to have co-dependent relationships with other loser single women and/or to be doing favors for all the users. Well, I wasn't having any of this garbage.

I walked away the end of 2000.

• piztjw
    piztjw

And I found the born in men so shallow and only go for the airhead good looking girls.

While I saw this displayed by many single "brothers" I also saw the truth of the statement that there are two sides to every coin. The high number of "sisters" who would not give a second look at a single man who did not have a large....bank account, the newest vehicle, a title in the congregation. And heaven help a man who did not sport a full head of hair, perfectly groomed. Just sayin'. Usually those women wound up with abusive chrisitan husbands.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

That is true. Or wouldn't look at a guy if he had been dfd, or didn't have any privileges or titles. There was a lot of spiritual snobbery there. A lot of born ins, male or female, were shallow in my exp.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JULIA ORWELL:

"Spiritual Snobbery" I suppose it was because I picked up certain attitudes from born-ins. They thought they were at the head of the idiot pecking order.

Little did they know that I thought too many born-ins were ignorant, shabby, rag-pickers who never went to the dentist. The only exceptions were those with a dad who had a successful business.

With all their "looking down" on people, they are probably the ones with their hands out NOW, expecting the wiser people in the hall with careers to help them! The hypocrites!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

True, though I know some born in women who sloughed off the lack of expectation and went and made careers, and still go to meetings and that but can look after themselves and afford to travel and that. The men not so- tend to be losers who move back in with mum if they didn't marry some 18 year old.

"I can understand your annoyance. But, don't be too quick to paint every woman there with the same brush."

I don't consider all JW women to be desperate, but I do consider them all to be weird.

As for your experience, that's pretty weird too. Did this clown think he was hot or something? Maybe it's the way his polyester pants clung to his butt cheeks; it made him feel sexy and he experienced the delusion that all women who want to speak to him at a hall want to marry him to gain access to the plethora of polyester that can be found in his wardrobe?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I enjoyed the article, very well written.

My only suggestion relates to the poll at the very end. I think the options should just be a yes/no without the commentary. Allow it to reflect peoples basic option wihout condemning them for for disagreeing with you. Like the tricky lawer wording "When did you stop beating your wife?" you are asking the person to agree with you or condemn themselves.

Personal taste, that is all. The article is very good and speaks for itself.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This is Watchtower's "view" of women:

Basically, they are down that well.

Unless they are hot and in trouble, then a group of three elders puts them in a chair and prods them for their story and views them this way:

• Scott77
    Scott77

Bookmarked for later reading

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit