How the Watchtower Society Views Women

by daringhart13 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• flipper
    flipper

Eyeuse2badub stated, " Freddy Franz didn't like women so that's why dubs have the attitude they have towards women. " Well, yeah Freddy would have felt that way - I've talked with several reliable ex-Bethelites confidentially who told me Fred Franz used to sit in the sauna naked with other naked Bethelite " brothers " holding court talking about the latest new light and Bible prophecies giving them his ever wise interpretations of "Greek".

Try explaining that one to a therapist

• tiki
    tiki

how about the judge - when he made his misogynous statement regarding theocratic men - to the effect that who'd want to get stuck with a stack of bones and a hank of hair........

it's a boys club.....women are to be subservient and basically housekeepers - ohhh - but they can be part of that big arny preaching the good news.

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

Don't forget how at the annual meeting where the new bible was released, it was referred to as "sister proof"

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Puke. It would be like the Taliban or flds if it were allowed to be.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I forgot about the housewife part! My mom wanted to work. Her sister, however, felt that her husband was supposed to take care of her. It was his Christian responsibility. My uncle had a small printing business. He seemed to know more about business than my father and other uncle. In fairness to him, he spent key years at Bethel and not in the work force. Being a Witness made it hard for him to get business. She was so bitter that she had to work. I felt so sorry for her. Now I wonder, well, why not help out? She knew that he was not an investment banker. It was a very bitter relationship b/c she wanted her home ownership and decent furniture. Yet she did nothing to help him out in business. Many women would play secretary or something. Wow. I completely forgot.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

As a 3rd gen born in (in the early 50's) I just always accepted that my "role" was to be a wife and mother. I didn't know any sisters who had jobs so I never had any role models. My parents pioneered even after i was born. To have their approval I was expected not only to be a virgin JW but a pioneer as well. No wonder when i was proposed to at 16 I accepted bc I thought that marriage was easier than pioneering!!! LOL.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I really enjoyed reading your article.

It seems these messages are sent subconsciously sometimes. And I never knew the reprussions of these attitudes,until I was ready to leave.

It really leaves one with a disadvantage,on top of the regular JW issues. I'm still struggling with them now.

One experience I had,was an elder's wife asking me why my sister-in-law needs to work. As if,it was any of her business. I just couldn't believe it. It's not as if my sister-in-law has some lucrative career. They just want to be able to pay their bills.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Oh, when my mom was confronted as we were leaving the KH and told by two poverty brothers that she had to quit her job, she replied that she did not work for pleasure. She worked so her children could eat and have shelter. Next, she simply turned her body from them and walked out. I was impressed. Also, I wondered why she had to work b/c we could get more love if she were at the meetings. Women did not work in the 1950s.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

A.proclaimer,

I missed what was said during the 'new' Bible release. They said it was sister proof? Meaning??

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The "sister proof" thing was people making a mountain out of a molehill. The GB member was referring to sisters complaining about the quality of the last Bible's cover and promised this one would be "sister proof" to get a few chuckles. Some people here over-reacted and said that clearly the GB was being misogynistic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit