What IS the meaning and purpose of EVIL?

by Monsieur 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Haha! Kate, I believe you may be right! :D

... except on the "people don't invent demons and angels"... they do: they are called writers!

• Robert7
    Robert7

Evil is all relative. Mass slaughter in concentration camps is evil in our definition. Taking thousands of pigs for slaughter is ok, but I bet the pigs would consider that evil from their perspective.

Evil is defined by our own definitions and by society. It used to be normal to own slaves, today it is considered evil. Look at all the crazy laws in the Old Testament. They were law and normal. Today many of them would be considers evil in our culture.

Evil is is something that happens, that we as advanced beings define and try to, most of the time, reduce. No purpose, no 'devil'....

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Robert7 totally with you on that. I'm a vegan btw...

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Based on the answers posted,

'Evil' then is something that just IS, not something necessarily bad.

However, the minds of the those that were massacred, in Mexico for example, will not get a chance to comprehend and meditate/study/research the wonders of the real world (free of opressive or non opressive religion in other words).

If the event was random and pointless, then the human mind is reduced to no greater value or worth than mowed grass.

except mowed grass isn't concscious of this, is it?

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I think evil=bad. It's just not purposly so. Just "is"...

Let me ammend this and say that people can consciously be "evil" in that they WANT to hurt. People who do evil are people that could not care less for other's well-being.
    THey may have been pushed to evil by prior evil... or somtimes a mental lack or empathy.

Evil is NECESSARILY BAD.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

braincleaned,

your ammended comment is a little confusing. are you saying that the motives for evil HAVE to be bad? however, evil itself is not bad?

in terms of physics,

is evil simply the effect of entropy?

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

If the event was random and pointless, then the human mind is reduced to no greater value or worth than mowed grass.

in the grand scheme of things, that's certainly the case. which doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue and enjoy the good things in life.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

in the grand scheme of things, that's certainly the case. which doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue and enjoy the good things in life.

jhofer,

a concept i fully understand. however, there seems to be a disconnect between my pursuit of such good things and the knowledge that others suffer pain, fear and evil.

there has to be an explanation to this disconnect. to simply ignore the 'evil' experienced by others seems...idk...

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

hm yeah. are you talking about compassion? thing is, you'll think about what happened for a week or two and then you'll forget about it. maybe you'll remember it when a similar story hits the news when some time has passed. either way the family doesn't benefit from it. compassion is a nice thing when you can actually do something about a situation. as for the usual "poor children in africa" type of compassion, most people don't do anything about it and talk is cheap. so indeed it's...idk...

• bruh2012
    bruh2012

Monsieur

You may not believe in God (every house---inanimate object--has a maker) but this may help a little:

New Living Translation
    I create the light and make the darkness. I send good times and bad times. I, the LORD, am the one who does these things.

English Standard Version
    I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.

King James Bible
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    I form light and create darkness, I make success and create disaster; I, Yahweh, do all these things."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit