What IS the meaning and purpose of EVIL?

by Monsieur 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Reading about the massacre of the JW family in Mexico brought up all kinds of questions again.

From the standpoint of someone who doesn't in believe in 'God' or a 'conventional' God,

what IS the meaning and purpose of evil?

How does it relate to the overall universe and its balance?

• cofty
    cofty

Monsieur - Perhaps you could define what you mean by evil.

• KateWild
    KateWild

cofty, it's bad stuff. That's what most people would say evil is. Kate xx

• Gopher
    Gopher

The definition I found is "profound immorality, wickedness, and depravity, esp. when regarded as a supernatural force".

Synonyms include wickedness, badness, wrongdoing, sin, ill, immorality, vice, iniquity, degeneracy, corruption, villainy, nefariousness, malevolence.

In many cases, the purpose of evil is to gain advantage over or inflict harm on another.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Cofty,

Evil...

...something (i'm thinking aloud here) that causes pain and hurt, fear. Like the massacre I aluded to for example. The senseless kiling of another human being by the hands of another cognizant human being. oxymoron maybe?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Monsieur, there is no purpose for evil. Evil people have evil purposes. They can be scheming and decietful to attain their own ends at the expence of others. Experiencing this suffering at the hands of evil people serves no purpose what so ever.

Kate xx

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I'm an atheist, and I would answer that there is no "purpose" in evil.
    Actually there is no written "purpose" of Life in general. We have evolved to a higher consiousness, so we now are the ones giving purpose to Life.
    Nature has only one fuction, and that is to evolve and survive. We have evolved to understand that there are positive consequences, and negative ones.
    Whatever is not positive can be called "evil", and what is positive called "good".

But there is no written purpose.

• cofty
    cofty

To me, asking for the purpose of evil is like asking what colour evil is.

Shit happens. People do bad things for a whole variety of reasons. There is no purpose. The capriciousness of life is difficult to accept so we tend to invent angels and demons.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Cofty... everyone knows the color of Evil is Black! ;)

• KateWild
    KateWild

Braincleaned no it's not it's red see love Kate xx

Cofty stop being silly, people don't create demons and angels xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit