Why do so-called believers need my approval or that of any atheist?

by Band on the Run 47 Replies latest jw friends

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

SFPW: your religion leaves people with a residual need to search for The Truth - or to spread what they know/feel to be True.

Why does this surprise you? Never knock on a door of someone uninterested?

Hush your rubbish.

• Comatose
    Comatose

If someone who is honestly searching for answers reads a logical thought I reply with, and it helps them, then I am happy. It's not out of a desire to fight or be rude. It's just that my opinion is different and maybe someone has not thought about the perspective I share.

• tec
    tec

I am entitled to state that what you are pushing is not a basic idea of Christianity as 98% of Christians view it.

Sure you're entitled to state that. Whoever said you weren't enititled to state what you want?

It is you and others with you who are the ones stating that I am not entitled to speak of my faith.

Little bit of a double standard going on there. Why can't you see that?

In any case, you did not answer the original question that I asked. Why did you reference you (warped) version of my faith in your OP?

Because your OP has nothing to do with me or my faith.

Peace,

tammy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

May I ask for clarification? This also happens in the work place. I was raised with manners. Public school discussions could not be limited to my friends. The entire class participated. Why would anyone post exclusive "believers" threads here? From day one, I saw that this was a very broad community. Yes, a community. There are thousands, hundreds of thousands, if not millions. of forums devoted to fundamentalist Christian belief. JW.org is a good example. Why come to a site that includes atheists and exclude them? Simon is not hosting a forum for only believers. This idea fo exclusivity makes sense when you foot the bills and maintain the site.

There is a pm function. All you need to do is PM your little believer friends. The rest of us cannot see the content. Again, Simon calls this a discussion forum. Use a cell phone or email your supporters. It is against all logic to post in a community of many beliefs and only expect your position to reply. Real life has many places to go. Visit a local church for voice hearers of whatchamacallit. Pentecostal churches may welcome you. You will not feel welcome at a mainstream church. When I walk into an Episcopal church, I expect to meet mostly Episcopalians or perhap some visitng Lutherans or Roman Catholics. On the other hand, when I descend into mass transit on the subway, I expect to meet everyone.

This situation happened at work. I would like feedback. Maybe my age is showing. I was at the local ACLU. Many college students volunteer. As I was doing legal research, others were sitting around. There were about six people in a large room. A very young and immature college student spoke wtih a friend in front of everyone else. She was Palestinian. A missile had attacked Israel and caused the death of many civilians. She was so delighted she actually danced a jig. I thought it was a teachable moment. When I remarked that such comments were inappropriate in a place of business, she said I eavesdropped. I said business manners meant that if you want to have a private friend discussion, you walk outside or go have lunch. You do not say racist things or rejoice at tragedy in business settings. Furthermore, the ACLU is funded mostly by Jewish groups. She was fortunate to not be dismissed as a volunteer. Many places would order her to leave. I did not press the matter. She did not know business customs.

As a grade school student, I could not bring only five cupcakes to class to distribute to my special friends. I believe JW. org requires certifications that you are a JW in good standing. Why anyone would want to import that standard here is beyond me. This is the antidote to JW.org. We are a community of JW dissidents. Although, I no longer feel that I am a JW dissident. Being a JW dissident defines me by a group I loathe. As a civil rights lawyer, the lack of respect for community and inclusion scares me. You have infinite avenues to get support from only each other. Also, your ignorance may upset me but I do want to hear from "believers" and others. Otherwise, I can just look in the mirror and award myself 50 gold stars. The wholeness here makes this a good forum.

At a more fundamental level, the desire to segregate and not interact with opposing viewpoints is extremely unAmerican. There must be some compounds in a remote area you could purchase and receive support only from each other.

• garyneal
    garyneal

What does it matter if others don't agree with you? People often cite Cofty, our loveable but demonic atheist. Cofty is not your father. I am not your mother. Why does it bother you so much that we disagree with you?

Um, I could care less what you two think about me of my opinions.

As for your posts, I ignore most of them because they are too long and windy. If I had to describe your posts, they appear to be from someone who is trying to show the board how intelligent she sounds by using a lot of words. I'm not impressed at all. Keep them short and succinct and they may have more of an impact.

• tec
    tec

Band... here is simple, black and white, straightforward clarification:

I never excluded anyone from anything.

Your OP does not apply to me. So I have asked you why you include me in it?

Are some threads on this forum directed to believers... yes, just as some are directed just to atheists. So that, as Stands said above, to post as an atheist on a thread directed to believer... and then take offense at the content and attack the OP and the believers who respond... is ridiculous. The same goes in reverse. But this is a discussion forum and anyone can post anywhere, regardless of who a post is directed TO.

Why come to a site that includes atheists and exclude them? Simon is not hosting a forum for only believers. This idea fo exclusivity makes sense when you foot the bills and maintain the site.

See, the above makes NO sense. I did not come to a site that includes atheists and exclude them. I engage atheists, agnostics, believers of ANY faith or religion, anti-theists, etc. I have never excluded anyone, nor would I want this site to become and exclusive only for believers site. So I don't know WHAT you are talking about. You're not getting your ideas from my posts.

Perhaps from some 'back-room gossip'?

There is a pm function. All you need to do is PM your little believer friends. The rest of us cannot see the content. Again, Simon calls this a discussion forum.

Yes, you see... you can speak... but I and anyone who has faith as I do must be silent and use pm or 'cell phones', etc. Can you not see the double standard you are applying?

You will not feel welcome at a mainstream church.

Then I guess it is fortunate for me that I don't visit mainstream (or otherwise) churches?

Honestly, I do not care whether a mainstream (or otherwise) church would welcome me. I do not need nor care to have their validation.

Christ's is the only validation that truly matters. Do you disagree?

Peace,

tammy

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Christianity has spanned and many centuries and gone through many changes and revisions. Everyone is entitled to their own set of beliefs or lack of belief. Tammy has always tolerated my lack of faith, my criticisms, lame jokes and at times indifference.

Hi there Tammy - just dropped in to see if everyone is behaving.

• tec
    tec

Hi there Tammy - just dropped in to see if everyone is behaving.

I'm always glad when you drop in. Hmm. No pun intended... lol.

Soooooooo? Is everyone behaving?

Peace,

tammy (thanking you for your kindness)

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Well said Garyneal

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

All you need to do is PM "Your Little Believer Friends". The rest of us cannot see the content.

Again, Simon calls this a discussion forum. Use a cell phone or email your supporters.....BOTR

..................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit