Why do so-called believers need my approval or that of any atheist?

by Band on the Run 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Recent posts from those who may mistakenly consider themselves "believers" demand a safe haven in this forum. They don't like associating with atheists or someone like me. Of course, there are hundreds of thousands of sites for Christian discussion already set up on the Internet. A thought just popped into my head. If you have a belief, why do you need my endorsement or freedom from comments by atheists or agnostics? I would expect that you believe your belief. What does it matter if others don't agree with you? People often cite Cofty, our loveable but demonic atheist. Cofty is not your father. I am not your mother. Why does it bother you so much that we disagree with you?

If I believed something absolute from God, such that he speaks little love notes into my exclusive ears, the opinion of others should not matter. For example, Dan Berrigan did not take a public opinion poll before he spread blood on selective service records in the 1960s. Martin Luther King, Jr. did not wait for the approval of the Ku Klux Klan before organizing poor blacks to vote. You act on your sincerely held convictions. The Christian martyrs witnessed for Christ. They did not care what the Roman Emperor wanted.

If I recall correctly, this site is billed as a discussion site. Discussion normally means more than one viewpoint is presented.

Honestly, if anyone ever said they heard whatchamacallit 's voice and left it at that, how could I respond? What do you want? A blue ribbon. It seems that God seldom makes His will known. What possible device could Simon arrange for your to receive satisfaction? Can't you legitimate your own view? Because right or wrong obectively, it is your view. Frankly, I do not care what you think of my belief. It is mine. I do not seek endorsement from you.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Everyone thinks they are smart and have it all figured out. So it hurts to someone question it. Of course most can deal with it.

I do have a theory though... When you come from our old religion, you think if Jehovan as the guy in the sky who is responsible for everything. It's to leave JW. But, to do it in order to please god or take a stand for what you feel the bible really teaches, it somehow makes it easier. You get to tell yourself that you are actually doing it for god. And you are NOT losing out on living forever! You just get to do it in heaven with Jesus. Keeping your belief means you don't have to deal with the reality that we all die. Life ends. You will fade to dark. Keeping god and heaven is so much easier. You get socializing at a church, the warm feeling that god is there for you, answers prayers, and blesses you.

Admitting that maybe the JWs weren't the only thing you were lied to about is hard. Takes a lot of bravery.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"If you have a belief, why do you need my endorsement or freedom from comments by atheists or agnostics? I would expect that you believe your belief. What does it matter if others don't agree with you?" - BotR

First, I would like to apologize in advance for any misspellings and errors. English is my second language. -

Confirmation bias? They read something that supports what they believe, and add it to the "I'm right about this" part inside their brain. Evidence or critical thinking that contradict what they believe is dismissed.

Even if they have doubts, even if they ask questions, they make up a reason to minimize their doubts, dismissed answers or evidence and reinforce their believes.

They convince themselves that their is not enough evidence to shatter their faith. Maybe they think that those answers and evidence are part of the conspiracy from critical thinkers/agnostics/atheists or do whatever it takes to make sure the "I'm wrong about this" part inside their brain remains empty.

Even after getting some good answers to those thought questions, they don't measure or analyze the evidence or what seen logical, but the emotional/social consequences of being wrong. That why most of them ask questions, but almost non of them do some sort of research.

Maybe humans are hard-wired to remain entrenched.

Perhaps I am full of crap and is just this one.

Maybe is this verse: ◄ Mark 16:15 ►

Take care,

Ismael

• tec
    tec

Honestly, if anyone ever said they heard whatchamacallit 's voice and left it at that, how could I respond? What do you want? A blue ribbon.

Why do you reference your (warped) version of my faith in your post, Band?

Peace,

tammy

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Perhaps they have the need to fell persecution to be sure that they belong the the right religion:

Persecution

John 15:18 ESV
    “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.

Matthew 5:44 ESV
    But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

2 Timothy 3:12 ESV
    Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

1 Peter 3:17 ESV
    For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.

1 Peter 4:12-14 ESV
    Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.

1 Peter 3:16 ESV
    Having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

1 Peter 3:14 ESV
    But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled,

1 John 3:13 ESV
    Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you.

Hebrews 12:3 ESV
    Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Very presumptuous Tammy. I think she was talking about the wacko Lars. He was Jesus. Oh!!! Wait! Did Lars move in with you? This could explain it.

• tec
    tec

Nope, not at all. Whatchamacallit is what Band says for the name Jaheshua (pronounced with the y sound; like the hebrew name for Christ... y'eshua), and the whatchamacallit hearers is a reference to me and others who share faith in the Spirit. You would remember this from various interchanges over the past couple of years had you been part of those or had you been here then.

So I am wondering why she would reference my faith above... because I don't think I need her approval or endorsement, and I don't think that she needs my approval or endorsment.

It would be nice to clear that up with you, Band. That is all.

Peace to you,

tammy

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

" Very presumptuous"

Indeed!!!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Why do you reference your (warped) version of my faith in your post, Band?

HA !

(waiting to see if I'll get the usual response of having no class or education, because of course that would be a "highly intelligent response" from someone who claims to have tons of it)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Well, religions have carved cozy spaces for themselves in many countries, where they get special treatment. No taxes, for instance, and no argumentation.
    They're used to special treatment, and when they come across people who don't respect their beliefs and say so loudly, well, they just can't take it. So, they keep demanding special treatment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit