Costco store label Bible as fiction. Minister outraged.

by jam 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I read that article at work and chuckled to myself.

Live and let live, is sometimes all I can say as I shake my head.

• Simon
    Simon

I love Costo - great store.

• fiddler
    fiddler

Oh I LOVE it! Love Costco too!

• prologos
    prologos

They pay their employees well which can not be said for those that think the bible is NON FICTION.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

$14.95 ? that means that as the WT produces their's with voluntary labour, and doesn't have to give various people a slice of profit, the average JW would be silly to donate more than $5.00 for the WT's latest fiction offering, the RNWT.

If Costco had such a section, The Bible would be better placed under "Abysmal Fiction".

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Who would have guessed that the truth about what the Bible really is would be found at Costco?

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

I'm sure that our fellow humans who happened to be Jewish will be delighted to find out that their ancient history is just a fiction. Plus lets scrap the whole idea of Western civilization because their whole world view (including laws) is based mainly on a book that is just a fiction (and some old Greek philosophy)... I wonder was the person who made the decision to label the Bible as fiction just uneducated or was it a deliberate act? Religion, philosophy, history? Maybe. But fiction? That's just ignorant and isensitive.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hortenzie - Total codswallop!

Much of the Jewish history as recorded in the bible is indeed fiction. Evidence for the exodus - None. Evidence for Solomon's Riches - None. Evidence for miracles - None.

NT - is much the same.

As for the laws being based on the bible - they were plagarised from other civilizations.

• jam
    jam

Bad news, they removed fiction labels from Bible.

Oh well, I will still go out today to Costco and purchase my

hot dog and sundae. Dog gone it.

• adamah
    adamah

Hortenzie said- I'm sure that our fellow humans who happened to be Jewish will be delighted to find out that their ancient history is just a fiction.

Jews, more than Xians, should be able to see how religious faith can work against them (as well as providing benefits for them), since their Holy Book (Tanakh) was co-opted in order to write a work of fan-fiction that was used to justify committing religious-fueled pogroms, genocide, etc. The rise of rationalism in the last century likely explains why a recent Pew Research Center survey of US Jews found a growth in the number of Jews who identified themselves as having "no religious affiliation":

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/10/01/new-poll-shows-that-1-in-3-young-jewish-americans-are-not-religious/

Another revealing finding from the study was that "white evangelicals are more than twice as likely to believe God gave Israel to the Jewish people than American Jews. Pew found that 82 percent of white evangelicals believed God gave Israel to the Jewish people. By contrast, only 40 percent of American Jews agreed."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/pew-white-evangelicals-more-likely-to-believe-god-gave-israel-to-jewish-people-than-american-jews-105906/

Sounds like Jews are able to discern a book of ancient fables and laws better than Xians?

Hortenzie said- Plus lets scrap the whole idea of Western civilization because their whole world view (including laws) is based mainly on a book that is just a fiction (and some old Greek philosophy).

You gotta be pulling legs? As if the Holy Bible constitutes the ENTIRE basis for "the whole idea of Western civilization"?

I'm guessing those great Greek thinkers of the past who left writings (eg Aristotle, Plato, Sophocles, Heroditus, Euripedes, Homer, Hippocrates, Aristophanes, etc, etc,) didn't have ANY influence on Western civilization?

As if the thousands of extant writings (both fiction and non-fiction) from other cultures didn't have any influence, weight or contribution to Western civilization? (And I'm talking about positive contributions, not the effect of retarding progress and advancement).

With that kind of a xenophobic mono-belief worldview, you're coming across like someone who as a child was home-schooled in a cloistered parochial environment by JW parents to prevent exposure to dangerous "pagan" ideas; as a result, such individuals often don't even realize what they don't even know.

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit