Costco store label Bible as fiction. Minister outraged.

by jam 34 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

I wonder was the person who made the decision to label the Bible as fiction just uneducated or was it a deliberate act?

I hope it was deliberate. Genius!

• KateWild
    KateWild

Bad news, they removed fiction labels from Bible.-jam

Why? Because a Religious Sactimonius Minister got outraged. Just shows how self important they are and can't take a joke. Some actually teach it as myth anyway. Ahh well Costco is the bigger man. Just reinforces my contempt for man made religions.

Kate xx

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't think most modern, educated Jewish people believe the history as presented in the Bible is totally factual. Some of the stuff sort of happened but not in the way it is presented. Its value is cultural, as an early mythology of the people.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I wonder was the person who made the decision to label the Bible as fiction just uneducated or was it a deliberate act?

It would have to be an uneducated person to categorize a story about a talking snake, or a global flood as fiction. And what about Jonah and the whale? These events don't defy science or logic in the least.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

I never said it was a 100% factual history, and I never said that it was a good thing, but everytime I check why people say things and believe things, symbols they use, laws they have, their habits, their holidays, their customs, and so on; it always goes back to judeo-christian believe system or a reaction to it (last few centuries), or to ancient greek phylosophy. And I'm still talking just about the western world.

Furthermore nobody would dare to do it to any other holy book, because that would be rasist, or even dangerous (their stores would get threatened or worst).

• cofty
    cofty

nobody would dare to do it to any other holy book, because that would be rasist

Islam is not a race.

All holy books should be filed under mythology.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I never said it was a 100% factual history

What percent of it was factual? Forrest Gump had real historical events, and people, in it. That doesn't make it a work of Non-fiction.

Furthermore nobody would dare to do it to any other holy book

Perhaps not, but that would be due to fear, not due to giving them any credence for their historical accuracy.

• Calebs Airplane
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

jam:

I think this was a mistake and some stock person honestly did not know what category it would come under.

Although some might disagree, I feel the Bible is not fiction at least in the sense that it has some historical or geographical accuracy. The fact that it contains some fables does not negate this.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

Cofty - I'm pretty sure I didn't mention Islam in my comment. And when I said rasist I wasn't thinking of Quran.

KS - I didn't insist that the Bible should be filed under the label History. Usually it is under Religion or Philosophy. Actually even witchcraft is often under Religion and not Fiction.

Hey, guys, you are all invited to your own opinion. I just felt, that Fiction label is neather accurate nor considerate. Period.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit