jw.org

by d 17 Replies latest forum suggestions

• d
    d

what do you people here on the forum think of the new jw website. I find it strange how when I was Jw they made a big deal out of the internet saying it was bad.But now they new this new website and they keep promoting on their literature.

• pronomono
    pronomono

I think it's cheaper and easier than printing literature that people won't read. One way of paving the way for cutting back costs.

• sir82
    sir82

As far as websites go, it's not too bad - although I find it kind of clunky, not exactly user friendly. It seems to have been put together by people who are not "leaders in the field" of website development.

Eventually, actual paper printing done by the WTS will virtually cease. All literature will be produced online only, and if hardcopies are needed, it will be up to publishers and/or elders to print it off locally.

• Robert7
    Robert7

They seem to be doing the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" with the internet. They want to be different than the world, but also look modern and mainstream to attract new members. They flat-out lie in their attempt. For example their FAQ saying the "do not shun former members". But I have to admit, it's a decent looking site that looks way less cultish than before.

I do also believe that this is a much easier way to erase the past. They can easily change or erase old histories, books, and any content in a flash.

It's still a cult. Putting lipstick on a pig...

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's not Web 3.0 - nothing interactive. Information flows one way. But then, they aren't exactly an open and transparent organization, are they?

• Robert7
    Robert7

Good point. Most sites would have a comments or discussion section to allow for commentaries. NOTHING like that here. They don't want free thoughts being exchanged.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

jgnat, that is an excellent point. We could casually bring this up to active JWs for a little cognitive dissonance inducing effect.

"Hey, I was just checking out [fill in the blank] on jw.org. It's so cool to be able to d/l the most current mags, etc. But I was looking for a place to post suggestions or ask a question and I couldn't find one. Do you know where that link is?"

• piztjw
    piztjw

Try clicking on the email contact us link.

You will get absolutely nowhere. No email address will be provided, so yeah, no way do they want anything coming back to them. The entire web site is pretty cumbersome. It is not nearly as smooth and seamless as many other sites. But that is what one gets with unpaid volunteers who have followed the mandates not to get any higher education I guess.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Definitely a one-way web site. They provide the information and can't provide them suggestions. I personally like the web site's design. Some things are hard to find though.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Propaganda can be deadly..

Awake 6/22/2000

.. “These appeals persuade not through the give-and-take of argument and debate, but through the manipulation of symbols and of our most basic human emotions." Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda! “A fool will believe anything.”—PROVERBS 14:15, TODAY’S ENGLISH VERSION. THERE is a difference—a big difference—between education and propaganda. Education shows you how to think. Propaganda tells you what to think. Good educators present all sides of an issue and encourage discussion. Propagandists relentlessly force you to hear their view and discourage discussion. Often their real motives are not apparent. They sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others. They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. Your emotions, not your logical thinking abilities, are their target. The propagandist makes sure that his message appears to be the right and moral one and that it gives you a sense of importance and belonging if you follow it. You are one of the smart ones, you are not alone, you are comfortable and secure—so they say. JW.ORG = PROPAGANDA DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit