How many of these books have your read?

by Calebs Airplane 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tornapart
    tornapart

First 3. All brilliant.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I have only Read CoC so far but that was only after much bible research and WT publications reading. Its those books and again the bible that convinced me that the JW's religion is a scam and a Cult. This religion is only about promoting the power of its leaders always the professed Anointed. A truly anointed follower of christ and a faithful slave would not yell it from the roofs tops as these A*&holes do.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I have read 5:

Crisis of conscience

In Search of Christian freedom

Gentile times reconsidered

and 2 of Karen Armstrongs

Thanks for that list there are few that have peeked my interest

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

wannaexit... you're welcome...

But wait... there's more... anybody read these?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

CoC and ISoCF

• Terry
    Terry

Here is one I can whole-heartedly reccomend:

I WEPT by the RIVERS of BABYLON (A Prisoner of Conscience in a Time of War)

By Terry Walstrom View this Author's Spotlight

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am ordering Terry book's today. The WT proclaimed its stance on neturality. When I was researching a church state law review, I stumbled upon an article about the Witnesses in Japan and the persecution they faced both before and during WWII. The focus was always on Germany. I dropped by plans to read the article immediately. There was not even a single story about an individual Japanese JW during WWII. The author, a Bethel lawyer, analyzed how brave Judge (Ha!) Rutherford was at his desk in Brooklyn when he was not vacationing.

Terry recounts his personal experience during Viet Nam. I am looking forward to reading about the price an individual human paid. Terry always reaches out to newcomers with his well constructed posts. I want to find out more about Terry. Certainly, individuals, not remote figures, play out their faith and belief. We pay the ultimate price. The Governing Body does not. So I am looking forward to Terry's experiences and analysis with relish.

• flipper
    flipper

I've read both of Franz's books " Crisis " & " In Search of Christian Freedom " but none of the other ones you mentioned. I'm not really looking to get into debates with JW's on doctrines or convince them too much of anything- other than just wanting to open their minds up to the injustices going on inside their organization regarding child abuse, crimes, shunning, etc. I feel that educating oneself about the mind control tactics the WT Society uses is of utmost importance as well - one reason I've read all 3 of Steve Hassan's books on mind control and " The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses. " A few books that deal with the psychological abuse inside the JW organization which in my opinion is more damaging than even the doctrines. But the doctrines are so crazy AND the psychological abuse- that put those two things together the WT Society is a vicious two headed monster of a cult that many people are in the dark about. One reason I spread the word about their antics- to inform folks

• TD
    TD

I know it's not a popular view, but everything about Jehovah's Witnesses is not bad, especially at the personal level. These are interesting reads too:

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have read both of Ray Franz' books and the Carl Olaf Jonsson book. CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE was awesome and should be required reading for anyone ever involved with the WTS. IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM was important details for me at the time, but it's rather lengthy and doctrinal details would have to be important to you before reading it. I wouldn't recommend GENTILE TIMES RECONSIDERED unless you are really really needing technical reasons why 607BCE/1914CE are wrong. Even then, you could skip to a summary at the end of each chapter.

I read one David Reed book, HOW TO RESCUE YOUR LOVED ONES FROM THE WATCHTOWER. It's very "Christian" but still helped me to see some DO's and DON'T's.

Also good is APOCALYPSE DELAYED by James Penton. COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL and two others by Steven Hassan. CAPTIVES OF A CONCEPT by Don Cameron.

Each person will need to make their own "spiritual search" and decide what's important to them to read. I have read books like THE BIBLE UNEARTHED, and K. Armstrong's THE BIBLE, A HISTORY and highly recommend them. But I also recommend Hawkins, Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, Sam Harris, and the usual plethera of Atheism books as well as some great books that look into eastern philosophy like Pema Chodron's books or EACH MOMENT IS THE UNIVERSE. One of the best helps to me was a book about cognitive dissonance called MISTAKES WERE MADE, BUT NOT BY ME.

Reviews help, recommendations from other ex-JW's are huge. But each of us will take a different path and need completely different reading materials.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit