A question about shunning-your input appreciated

by crazycate 18 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

EdenOne - What they say and what they do are two entirely different things. They may say hello to you but that is about itr -whoopeee doo!!

If you were inactive do you think you would be invited to a congregation get-together? No you would be shunned.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Well I notice that also Eden and many KM articles encourage communication and encouragement with respect to inactive ones. What caught my eye last week was the constitution that congs in oz voted on to qualify for tax breaks under the new charitable institutions statutes. In the jw constitution it states that, under "definition of membership", "active publishers" are recognised as members. I queried this with an elder in view of the OM book that considers inactive ones to be part of the congregation and need to be encouraged. I saw this as a contradiction. He said "don't worry about legal stuff, they're gonna point a huge cannon our way soon and it wont matter" I did see a note in the elders manual that suggested if a inactive member of the family sinned then those in the family may well treat him accordingly. I guess if you discuss your feelings about your doubts and the family don't like it then that might lead to a "shunning " situation.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cantleave: If you were inactive do you think you would be invited to a congregation get-together? No you would be shunned.

Depends a lot on how the congregation perceives you.

If you're perceived as inactive and spiritually dangerous (i.e, involved in apostasy or questionabe conduct), then you wouldn't get invited. However if the reasons why one is inactive are perceived as of other kind (depression, illness, lack of motivation) and they feel that associating with the congregation might be of help, then such person wouldn't be necessarily ignored.

Eden

• cantleave
    cantleave

Eden I have known brothers be shunned simply because they have had to work away from their congregation - "he's materialistic ya know"...............

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

What can I say...? I don't agree with that attitude.

Uber-zealous, holier-than-thou witnesses don't resonate well with me, I guess.

Eden

• cantleave
    cantleave

Uber-zealous, holier-than-thou witnesses don't resonate well with me, I guess.

Is there any other kind? Shunning anyone for any reason is bullying and intolerance and ALL JW's will do that!

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

You'd be surprised, Cantleave.

Even last week I spent the day with the former CBOE of my cong and his wife - who I miss much in my congregation - and we had open discussions about aspects of Christianity that normally don't get discussed from the platform. It was refreshing and interesting. Not everyone values hours in the witnessing ministry as they value Christian actions towards others, that being the true essence of being a Christian. low hours, low attendance to meetings is no indicator of spiritual strenght.

I agree, he's not the typical CBOE, and he's, let's say it, is placed in high position within the Org. That's why I found it to be so refreshing.

Eden

• blondie
    blondie

Inactive 12 years

I'm not treated as if I am df'd but certainly it is not hale well met.

People are not sure of your status so go with the worst possible scenario

The WTS teaches its members to be wary of the inactive, not to socialize and to only "encourage" them to come back

*** w56 4/15 p. 246 par. 22 Activity and Life versus Inactivity and Death ***

Inactivity means we are as good as dead. Quit training and quit the race and we are dead in God’s sight. Do not be dead in the sin of inactivity. Be active now and live tomorrow, brothers!

*** w59 12/1 p. 722 par. 8 “Prove Yourselves My Disciples” ***

All who are counted as Jehovah’s witnesses are active preachers of the good news meeting the Biblical standard of morals, since an inactive Christian or one not meeting the standard is not a Christian at all. He is not a witness for Jehovah.

*** km 2/07 p. 8 par. 2 Do Not Forget Those Who Are Inactive ***

A brief telephone call or visit may assure one who has become inactive that we have not forgotten him. What could we say? We may be encouraging by simply letting the person know that we were thinking of him. Keep the conversation positive and upbuilding. (Phil. 4:8) We might mention a point that we enjoyed from a recent meeting. We could also invite him to an upcoming meeting or assembly and offer to save him a seat or provide transportation.

• crazycate
    crazycate

Thank you everyone who responded. I appreciate your feedback. It feels like something new to me, but perhaps it just the natural progression of the cult mind.

Peace to all,

Cate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit