More WT Propaganda: 10 Year Old Children Should Get Baptized!

by Oubliette 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

What are children not allowed to do at 10?

Vote

Drive a car

Sign a contract

Buy or rent a house

Get a credit card

Drink alcohol in a bar

Join the military

Work a full time job (not even a part time job)

Smoke

Get married

Give blood

Give consent to have sex

Own/use a gun; hunt

Leave home

Give medical consent

Gamble

Get a tattoo

But old enough to make contract with God....do you think there is any record of 10 year olds getting baptized in the first century.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Good question Blondie: 'do you think there's any record of 10 year olds getting baptized in the first century?'

The answer is clearly no!

Calling attention to and stressing child baptism is another area in WT doctrine where the GB have gone beyond the things that are written (1 Cor 4:6).

• Dagney
    Dagney

This infuriates me.

• piztjw
    piztjw

Hm...let's see...Jesus, the perfect son of God himself waited until he was thirty years old to make a dedication and get baptized. Does that mean the typical jw sheeple's brat is better than Jesus?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Baptism ferver seems to be getting more intense for the young in recent years. There is even a cartoon on JW.org with kids getting baptised. I consider this manipulation and child abuse. Kate xx

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

It breaks my heart every time I hear about a child that young getting baptized. Every single one I've known personally, without exception, were disfellowshipped at some point when they were still teenagers. A ten year old isn't even prepared for the challenges of adolescence, much less the weight of a lifelong commitment, that has dire consequences if you break it.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

> Good question Blondie: 'do you think there's any record of 10 year olds getting baptized in the first century?'

> The answer is clearly no!

actually the answer is not clearly no. as the story goes whole families were baptized, no mention of their age.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

J. Hofer: 'actually the answer is not clearly no. as the story goes whole families were baptized, no mention of their age.'

So you are saying that if a family had a 1 month or older infant then the 'whole families were baptized' senario would mean that the 1 month old also became a baptized minister. If that's the case, then safe to say that infant baptism has some basis! I seriously doubt it!

As an example, just because Acts 11:14 states that a person and 'all your household may get saved' does not in itself prove that infants or children were included and became dedicated and were baptized.

Safe to say that accounts such as Acts 11:14 and others like it are speaking of persons old enough, such as adults who could make such an informed decision. The hope obviously was that as the infants and children in those 'households' matured and grew older that they themselves followed and adopted their parents beliefs.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

I did a lot of research on youth baptism, having a df'd child.

If you search thoroughly, the older WT's acknowledge that NO ( not just no infants ) CHILDREN were baptized by first century Christians. The articles used expressions such as attaining age of reason and "when they grow up." The April 1, 2006 WT article actually sneaked it in, but no one seems to have picked up on it:

"Regarding first-century Christians, historian Augustus Neander states in his book General History of the Christian Religion and Church: “Baptism was administered at first only to adults, as men were accustomed to conceive baptism and faith as strictly connected.”

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Welcome to the board berrygerry. Very nice first post.

This cult makes me sick with all it's pressure to have your children baptized at very young ages. All to give the illusion of growth in this declining cult. These kids end up making youth mistakes and they pay for it by getting df'd, shunned, having emotional problems, and in some cases thrown out on the street with nothing. If any youths are able to put off until turning 18 from getting baptized into the JW organization cult....by that time their parents have had the hell harrassed out of them for their not getting baptized when they were younger.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit