Political correctness. What is it to you?

by Hortenzie 22 Replies latest social current

• Mum
    Mum

I am now an Appalachian American. I used to be a hillbilly.

I am also physically challenged. I used to be crippled.

They're just words. I come from a background of mental illness low-level education and ignorance. I cut people some slack if they use a non-PC term. They just remind me of my family.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

TD - I come from a formerly communist country and I grew up during the regime. Never heard of PC until I came to North America.

QueenWitch - what do you preffer? ... Don't worry, people call me Caucasian (I hate it), and I never been to Caucasus, and non of my ancestors ever came from that region...

Berengaria - I can't. I would be politically incorrect and half of the posters would let me know I don't want to end up like Carrie Prejean, who answered honestly, and without forcing her view on anybody, a question she shouln't have been asked. The person who asked it put her in a no win situation, which wasn't fair. Either way she would have a half of America against her...

I think people should be able to voice their opinions freely, as long as it is done respectfuly, without forcing it on others, and without insiting hatered. What worries me is that many, nowdays, use political correctness as a weapon against those who dare to disagree with their own opinions.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I think it's gone too far, sure causes of offence should be avoided, but taking offence is also the responsibility of the person taking it.

We will end up in a country where the only descriptive terms available are male and female, and even then risk some taking offence at that.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

In my experience in the UK, political correctness is only ever mentioned by people who either don’t want to think or care about others either intellectually or emotionally. It also tends to be a word used by the older generation, who for example might think that “in my day women didn’t mind being touched up” for example. People who won’t move with the times! It also gets trotted out often in connection with the denial and rejection of manmade climate change and gay marriage, which brings be back to my first points.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Respect for our fellow human beings, consideration to your environment and giving someback to society should be second nature, this isn't PC, it is just being the best that we can.

*edit - respecting people doesn't mean we shouldn't challenge their ideas and beliefs.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Nicknames and male banter are interesting in this context.

Lads often call each other names that relate to some aspect of their looks, personality etc. That's usually accepted amongst a group of friends or peers. Those same words can be used to insult and discriminate as well, indeed the names and how they are used often reflect some kind of power play in a social situation.

Even when used in a supposedly non-aggressive way names do reflect something about society. For example, I would lay big money on the chances of a black or asian man in a group of predominately white English 25 plus years ago having a nickname directly related to his colour/ethnicity. He could be the shortest, tallest, largest, slimest, strongest, have glasses, big feet or no hair. His nick name would still be derived from colour and/or ethnicity.

What's more his "mates" would be saying to him "no offence mate, but you are ....(black/asian)".

When I think of Aussie culture I also think of a certain cultures in Britain - some the same in lots of ways, some the sames in attitude. On the one had you can consider it to be basically just fun however the root of much of that culture goes back to a time when there was little social mixing of classes and races. It's easy not to take offence at a name when the person calling you it has the same colour and social standing - when it's your direct peers.

I think it is easy for white, middle class people like myself to suggest that those from the so called ethnic minorities chill out a bit and stop taking everything quite so seriously. It is especially easy when you, your parents, their parents - generations of your family - have not had to face decades of discrimination, abuse and lack of opportunity at the hands of another race.

There are clearly times when the use of someones colour or race is not racist and has no negative undertones however this does not mean that we don't need to demonstrate some sensitivity and respect for others.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Culture also comes into play.

In the UK it is completely unacceptable to refer to a non-white person as "coloured".

When I go to South Africa then locals of all ethnic backgrounds refer to a certain segment of society as "coloured". It's very uncomfortable for me but it's normal for them and they do not see it as a race issue.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Political correctness is a pain in the ass. Period.

• tornapart
    tornapart

This is a good example of PC... dumping a centuries old tradition in the Netherlands because it offends some people. Whether it's right or wrong is a debate that could go on forever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24979498

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

Tornapart - interesting article, thanks. I have one very recent for you:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2495866/High-school-vice-principal-blacking-Mr-T-Halloween.html

I thought he did it because he LIKED Mister T.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit