Political correctness. What is it to you?

by Hortenzie 22 Replies latest social current

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

I see it as a form of discrimination against non mainstream ideas and opinions. That's why I don't understand why so many hold it as of a great value

What do you think?

• cofty
    cofty

You would have to define the term first.

Sometimes it just means, be sensitive to the fact that you share the world with people who are not entirely like you.

At other times it is utter bollocks.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

Good point Cofty, but we already have words for being " sensitive to the fact that you share the world with people who are not entirely like you" - consideration, kindness, respect, tact, thoughtfulness. Obviously, that's not what I was reffering to.

• Etude
    Etude

I guess that's why there's a grammatical part of speech called "synonym". It means that we use different words, or in this case a phrase or expression, in order to mean the same thing. I don't differentiate between being politically correct and being sensitive to others in certain contexts. I say "certain contexts" because I don't think it's always beneficial to be politically correct of "kill" someone with kindness if that will help keep them in ignorance about an issue or unduly protected them from the truth. Sometimes, you just have to tell it like it is.

• TD
    TD

In line with Cofty's other thread, the term's origin goes back to the Communisty Party after the idealism had faded away. Members needed to adhere to the party line in everything they said even if they didn't actually believe a single word of it themselves.

The connotation today is still negative. It usually means dancing around something a person might actually believe, but would be socially unacceptable to openly say.

Of course, if what a person believes is wrong, unfair and offensive then it's probably better that they keep their mouth shut.

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

PC is why I'm called African American instead of Black. I'm not African. My parents, grandparents, or even great grandparents did not come from Africa.

• zeb
    zeb

The "Greens" party and rabid feminists/ read University bred weirdos who never worked in their lives are the storm troopers of this conceptand all to the negative. It means 50,000 Australians were killed in the 1st and 2nd world wars, then in Vietnam war and Korea and other conflicts to give the above the right to bastardise our language our culture and history and make my fellow citizens fearful about saying or printing anything that may "offend".

PC means if you pick up a pice of dogs poo by a particular end it will become a rose. It also means a bland press, airweight television and an effective smokescreen over all manner of things that reveal that much of society is not nice but those in charge like us all to think it is or be muzzled.

Australians once had a cultural norm where people (mostly males) had nick names. In my fathers Army outfit was a number of Aboriginal soldiers. (no segregation in Australia) One such was called "Nugget" this being the name of a black boot polish at the time. Nick names were mostly a form of flattery.A tall guy would be called either shorty or stretch. A red head was called Blue or bluey. If you cant understand this just role with me here. We all got on until PC told us to feel guilty about such things and leaving us with a salt free bland society. and i add very much like the world as the wts would have it, the suits the shoes, the none thinking the veritable OSFA. One size fits all.

The 'Greens" incidentally were formed out of the now defunct Communist party and their concern for the planet is faux basis for control.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I view pc as the absence of. bigotry in public spheres, such as universities and business places. Use th e n word or make fun of gays or Muslims, you shoshould be fired and an outcast. Some people want to extend it to private association. In our political world, individuals have a right to be ignorant. fools.

Some progressives are liberal fascists. Obama battled them at Harvard Law. I battled them. Leftist thought police are no better than right wing thought police.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Can you give an example?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

To me it means showing consideration to others by being aware of common terms and ideas that might be objectionable to others who come from a different background. I think the term has become a dirty word to those who do not wish to show this consideration, or consider the feelings of others. Yes, political correctness does at times go too far, but that does not devalue it or change the goal. I think it is better to err on the side of tolerance and understanding that to insist on saying what ever you feel like, especially if you are in a position where you interact with the public, or represent an organization.

As a woman, I just want to be treated as an equal and be given the same dignity and respect that a man would get, and get the same pay for the same work. If that makes me a "rabid feminist", then so be it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit