Dawkins-The Greatest Show on Earth

by KateWild 189 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

It is. I would not want to live in a country where the majority of people were willfully blinded by religious dogma.-cofty

Lets all prepare for battle, because that is the most worrying thing about the UK's infastructure at the moment. I suppose we need to be concerned about affordable housing for our kids and unemployment too. But I agree religious dogma is a huge problem society faces right now, or is it?

To be honest I don't really know how serious it is because I haven't looked into it. So I suppose I am being a little flippant. I am open to looking at stats of the dangers if anyone has any.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

His 'evangelizing atheism' is a REACTION.
    Self defense if you please.-braincleaned

That is an interesting fact to know about Dawkins. Thanks for that - Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Kate: is thery any other way to read that passage than simply saying dawkins want as many people to know the good arguments for evolution that convinced the vast majority of scientists evolution is an undisputed fact?-Bohm

If fact your sentence does the trick. Nice, to the point and succinct. You write better than Dawkins Bohm. - Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

It's not a problem in the UK. It's in the colonies and in fundy Muslim countries that science deniers prosper.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Dawkins is doing the same thing, evolution is a fact denied by ignorant people who have an agenda, and he wants to ensure those lies are exposed by presenting the facts.-cantleave

You make a fair point. So his motives in Chapter one are more than defining the word Theory. That's okay with me. Dawkins agenda is to protect the vulnerable from ones with an anti-evolution agenda. Ok I am fine with that. He certainly is not hiding his motives, so I find him honest in his writing style. All be it laborious, still honest.

Kate xx

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't think religious attitudes in the U.K are a problem overall Kate, most people here claim to be of no religion (52% ??) and those that would say they were Cof E or whatever would also say they trusted evolution to be an established fact, and would be far from being Bible Literalists.

Now, the USA , boy, is there a huge number of religious zealots, nuts, Bible Literalists, Fundamentalists etc etc ! How many openly Atheist, or even non-religious politicians do they have, even at a local level ?

You have to seem to be a believer to get elected. That is a worry, for a number of reasons.

May Richard Dawkins' "Crusade" continue and gain momentum, and bring Enlightenment to the United States.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Now, the USA , boy, is there a huge number of religious zealots, nuts, Bible Literalists, Fundamentalists etc etc ! How many openly Atheist, or even non-religious politicians do they have, even at a local level ?-Phizzy

Well, I am not going to make any generalisations about Americans. I cannot agree or disagree on a public board about this Phizzy. Hopefully if you have read my posts you will know where I stand. read between the lines.

To everyone in the US posting here, I love you all and thank you for your support and encouragement.

Kate xx

cofty- I was pulling your leg

• cofty
    cofty

I know - as always ;)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have great affection for all the posters here too Kate, even if I do not agree with them all of the time, but the U.S does have the problems I outlined.

Here too, the politician has to be careful how he words his unbelief, Vince Cable struggled with that once I remember, but obviously politicos have to be mealy mouthed to try to appeal to all of the electorate.

What worries me about the U.S is that some, right at the top, actually believe they are "guided by God", which makes it difficult for them to self-appraise their own decisions.

And the general populace seem woefully ignorant as to Science etc, ( and geography and ..... stop me now !) hence my hope that Prof Dawkins efforts, and those that take up the struggle, will bear fruit.

As a born-in JW, I was of course even more ignorant and uneducated than the average Brit or Yank. I am still a "work in progress" in this regard.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

" But that is just my veiw, perhaps I am bias...what do you think?"

Kate, I love your openess. Truth is, we are all bias. I was bias against Dawkins, now I'm bias for him! LOL!
    I truly love the man... and make no mistake, there are times I hold my breath when he goes too far in his anti-religious arguments.
    But in the big scheme of things, he is a hero of mine.

I totally understand not 'feeling' him, as I was also in that frame of mind.
    I just think it's wonderful that you open yourself to knowing him better. I think he will end up surprising you.

I also love the family man he is. I'm reading his bio that I just bought yesterday... I'm such a fan! LOL!
    He DID help me come out...

In any case, kudos for your quest and questions.
    ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit