Dawkins-The Greatest Show on Earth

by KateWild 189 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

As many may be aware. I don't like the man. But I have chosen to review the first chapter of his book.

Chapter 1... Only a Theory?

I think the title is sarcastic, using the word "only" and having a ? in it. Many may disagree. Well this chapter of around 8 1/2 pages defines the word theory. He also briefly defines the word fact. Dawkins also tells us how others define the word theory. Was he or wasn't he generalising. The reader can draw their own conclusions. I don't really care if he was or wasn't. But it was a struggle to get through.

I found the style of writing in this chapter laborious.

The way I would define theory is from my school days. When we had a science lesson, we were told if it was theory or practical. We did care if if the practical experiment proved the theory as fact. We just needed to know if we were to bring lab coat and saftey specs in.

What are Dawkins motives for chapter one?

I am not sure really, he doesn't make it clear, but I conclude he wants the reader to believe all following chapters are "the truth" and must be trusted as fact.

Do I draw a reasonable conclusion? What do you conclude?

• cantleave
    cantleave

The motive of the chapter is simple - to define what is meant by a scientific theory.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I look forward to your comments on chapter 2.

• sir82
    sir82

The word "theory" is misunderstand and misused by many, many many people.

Far too many people think "theory" = "our best guess at what happened".

That is not even remotely close to what a scientific theory is - and that is why it is important to establish that from the beginning.

My favorite rejoinder to use when people say "but evolution is only a theory!" is to say "so is gravity - would you care to leap off the Empire State Building, since gravity is 'only' a theory?"

• adamah
    adamah

Kate Wild said-

I think the title is sarcastic, using the word "only" and having a ? in it. Many may disagree. Well this chapter of around 8 1/2 pages defines the word theory. He also briefly defines the word fact. Dawkins also tells us how others define the word theory. Was he or wasn't he generalising. The reader can draw their own conclusions. I don't really care if he was or wasn't. But it was a struggle to get through.

Uh, it's not Richard Dawkins definition: he didn't come up with the standard definition of the word as used in science, since it existed LONG BEFORE Dawkins got into science. He doesn't try to change it (without having anything better to offer): he simply accepts it.

In order to get things accomplished, scientists actually USE and RELY ON widely-accepted standards: that's the case for not only terminology used in science, but also for systems of weights/measures, etc.

If every scientist felt entitled to make up concepts for use in their own labs, there'd be no science. That's not dogmatic: it's just not being stoopid (sic), as if demanding that everyone else caters to their desires and ways of doing things. Those basic definitions have been worked out LONG AGO.

'Theory' is just such an example: it has a well-defined meaning in the world of science which differs from the layperson's definition and usage of the term (i.e. "that's just a theory", as if the speaker is confusing the scientific definition of 'theory' with 'hypothesis').

In that light, I'd think long and hard before calling Dawkins on the carpet about his knowledge of science, if I were you: it's literally a completely unmatched battle of wits and experience, since the guy was the department head of biology likely long before you were even born, and he's taught decades of very-bright students in University courses, and he didn't get that privilege by being a dullard or by speaking out of his backside orifice.

Heck, I have a biology degree from undergrad, and Dawkins has likely forgotten more about biology than I could possibly ever know on the topic, much less the basic definitions which even a first-year biology major is expected to know LONG-BEFORE beginning their college studies (more like from elementary or junior-high school, at the latest).

Just sayin', you'd be wise to spend more time learning from what he says, and less time challenging what he writes (much less daring to attempt to 'review' his work, as an uneducated layperson: who's arrogant, here? You, with your elementary school training and experience? You're likely only embarrassing yourself, relying on your JW edumacshion (sic) on the topic of evolution).

Adam

• KateWild
    KateWild

I don't think his motives are that black and white. If he wanted to be simple, he could have put the whole chapter into one scentence. I defined what is meant by schoolgirl theory in a few lines.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Kate.. I fear you still misunderstand after 8 1/2 pages of explanation... His intent was to explain to the reader, who is a layperson how the word theory is used by the scientific community as opposed to how the layperson uses it. It is often confused.

In science, you aren't waiting for a theory to be proved.. It has been proven. It is not his personal made-up meaning. The title is not sarcastic. Often creationists try to use the argument that evolution is "only a theory" and thus has no proof... That couldn't be more untrue. The book is written for uneducated bums like me.

I'm glad to see you are reading the book, it is one of the best I've ever read. Enjoy :)

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

KateWild Why don’t you write a book? Then we can see how it should be done.

Dawkins is God to me and that's saying something - cos I'm an atheist.

• KateWild
    KateWild

In science, you aren't waiting for a theory to be proved-CO

That is exactly how scientific discoveries are made, we have a theory, do an experiment. Some prove our theory some do not. That is what happens in a reasearch and developement lab.

In the Quality Control lab, they are testing products that have been developed, to maintain the product quality.

One experiment is to figure out if your theory is correct, the other is to reproduce a predicted result.-Kate xx

• tec
    tec

Wow... kudos for reading the whole chapter, Kate. All I keep thinking in it is... GET TO THE POINT ALREADY! Lol. He has more motive than just to define theory, otherwise he would JUST do it. That could have been done very simply, without the need to compare evolution deniers to history deniers/holocaust deniers. He is arguing with creationists (young earth creationists/evolution deniers) in the first chapter as much as or more than he is defining theory. That is how it reads to me. (first few chapters are free on amazon)

(also... gravity is a law, is it not?)

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit