Dawkins-The Greatest Show on Earth

by KateWild 189 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

Coma, I see your point. Dawkins is not radical enough to commit a crime. My view is that he is radical in the sense that he wants to shock, he uses the term holocaust deniers when geography deniers would also prove his point.

But maqny love the guy and find him entertaining, he just rubs me up the wrong way.

Kate xx

• Comatose
    Comatose

But, what is wrong with referencing real people that do deny the holocaust? :)

If that one line in the book colored your entire opinion of him, I'd suggest maybe overlooking it and giving his arguments and facts another try.

• cofty
    cofty

What is a "geography denier"?

Read his use of "holocaust denier" in context, it makes perfect senes and is an apt analogy.

• Laika
    Laika

I think fundamentalist is an apt description of Dawkins. He is disparaging of those with religious beliefs and has the same kind of vehemence for the groups he dislikes as do fundamentalists of different persuasions.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

If by a "geography denier" Kate means someone who subscribes to the flat-earth view point then Dawkins has addressed them as well...

No, we are here talking about the fact of evolution itself, a fact that is proved utterly beyond reasonable doubt. To claim equal time for creation science in biology classes is about as sensible as to claim equal time for the flat-earth theory in astronomy classes. Or, as someone has pointed out, you might as well claim equal time in sex education classes for the stork theory. It is absolutely safe to say that if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid or insane (or wicked, but I'd rather not consider that).

If that gives you offence, I'm sorry. You are probably not stupid, insane or wicked; and ignorance is no crime in a country with strong local traditions of interference in the freedom of biology educators to teach the central theorem of their subject.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins

• cofty
    cofty

Laika - disdain for superstition is not a feature of fundamentalism.

Read the reference to Holocaust Deniers in context.

• cofty
    cofty

" It is absolutely safe to say that if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid or insane (or wicked, but I'd rather not consider that)."

I agree 100%.

Please bear in mind that ignorant is not meant as a pejorative word.

• Laika
    Laika

I'm already aware of the context of Dawkins Holocaust remarks, given the kind of people who deny the Holocaust generally are it's needlessly incendiary and I think he knows what he's doing.

Dawkins looks down on people who disagree with him in the same way I used to look down on people who disagreed with me as a JW.

• Laika
    Laika

Dawkins looks down on people who disagree with him in the same way I used to look down on people who disagreed with me as a JW.

I take this back, even in my most convinced JW days I never would have advocated bullying and shaming people with different religious beliefs to myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPqqp8KVuQU

Can we all stop pretending Richard is just a misunderstood chap with a passion for science now please?

• Viviane
    Viviane

Can we all stop pretending Richard is just a misunderstood chap with a passion for science now please?

Sure, right when people stop telling me I am going to hell for not believing in Jesus. Goose, gander, sauce, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit