I Went To A Catholic Mass Yesterday And What A Waste of Time!

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

I go to Catholic Church every Sunday and on Holy days. I can't say I believe in God (thanks to JW) or in religion, but it fills my spiritual need (that I have, for some unknown to me reason). I like the beautiful architecture, artistic decorations, candles, insence, singing, reading from the Bible, lack of indoctrination, rituals that connect me to my culture and roots... When I leave the church after the Mass I feel like a better, more cultured person, and that's all that matters to me.

• minimus
    minimus

Hort, I guess you like the Mass for all the reasons I don't.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

Yes, we are all different. Thanks God.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

I love rituals (and humans have rituals all day long! Brushing your teeth in the morning, anything you do in a specific way or at a specific time can count for a ritual). Many of the rituals in a Catholic Mass are like the rituals being used in paganism, so I recognize a lot in it and kinda like it. Although my first Catholic Mass felt strange, indeed because of the kneeling, standing, sitting... I just stayed put on the bench

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I attended services today at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, which is next to Columbia's campus on the Upper West Side. This place played a pivotal role in my life. I thought all churches would have the paegentry, music, art, and interesting sermons. What an idiot I was. In my zeal to not be late, I was very early. The choir was rehearsing. I know there are at least some professionals in the choir. The wealthier churches in New York pay for opera singers. I cried when I heard the exqusite music.

There was a long processions of crosses and acolytes bearing torches. Light streamed in through the large Rose window. Incense was used. It transported me to another realm. So much of it has to do with my personality. I am a history nut. The traditon embraces and transports me. Many of the prayers, chants, and hymns are very early Christian. Monks and nuns kept the tradition alive through the Viking raids. I realize I am a Christian in a long line of Christians.

Henry Tudor, King John of Robin Hood fame-- the saints of the church - I am part of this tradition. Don't ask me why I find comfort. I am just grateful that I do. I also admire Quakers a lot. They have a more spartan tradition. Yes, I may be overreacting of crappy KH syndrome. The floral arrangements at the altar are so pleasing. The chairs or pews have a solidity that folding metal chairs do not. I noticed that incredible polish of the silver offering vessels. My silver never gets so buffed. A lot of people participate to make it nice.

We are not wasting our time. The priest did not think he was the show. Whatever makes you happy.

Anyway, I had to restrain myself from screaming, "This is even better than I remember. I refuse to leave." I left uplifted. The sermon was thoughtful. A nice experience.

Some people stand for prayer and others kneel. We are all in an umbrella group. The time for blood shed or nastiness about conformity is long over. In fact, part of the prayers was the Schma Israel. The Witnesses taught us to blindly hate. Every religion should be shown respect. You need not agree with it.

• cofty
    cofty

Every religion should be shown respect

Not so. Islam should be held in contempt and mocked mercilessly

• Satanus
    Satanus

Lots of things are rituals. Meals together, as families is a ritual. We pick our rituals.

S

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Every religion should be shown respect

Why?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That's too bad, Minimus. When Andy's grandmother Mary died, she was given the most beautiful Catholic mass I have ever seen. It was more beautiful than even his sister's wedding masses. They were too plain. Mary's mass though would have moved you. I'm confident of that.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

When I went to RC church for the first time (for a wedding), I thought that all that "kneeling, standing, sitting" was strange and annoing, but when I came home I googled it and did some research. It's amazing how with some information things take on a different perspective!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit