Feb 15 study W/T up on jw.org

by konceptual99 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DS211
    DS211

Thats why the Bible said not everyone should prophesy, nor teach. When you take prophesy and it doesnt happen deuteronomy says Jehovah said that prophet would die. Imagine if Jeremiahs warnings didnt happen! Wed be condemning him now as a false prophet. Look at harry camping (i think)saying the end as coming in october, then another date. The WT then brings out that behavior is false prophecy....and yet when they have done it they white wash their words, blame it on the R and F and bobs uncle frannys your aunt, they forget and move on. Clinical Orwellian (which is fiction haha) Mind control.

• St George of England
  • factfinder
    factfinder

The regular pdf version is unavailable for some reason.

• jgnat
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro

Notice how that actual meaning of the '70 weeks' - which corresponds with when Daniel was actually written - is hived away as a side point:

The Essenes, widely thought to have been a Jewish monastic sect, taught that two Messiahs would appear toward the end of 490 years, but we cannot be certain that the Essenes based their calculations on Daniel’s prophecy. Even if they had done so, it is hard to imagine how the Jews in general would have come to be influenced by the chronology of such a reclusive group.
    In the second century C.E., certain Jews believed that the 70 weeks covered the period from the destruction of the first temple in 607 B.C.E. to the destruction of the second temple in 70 C.E., while others connected the fulfillment of the prophecy with the Maccabean period of the second century B.C.E. So there was no clear consensus as to how the 70 weeks should be counted.

Applying the '70 weeks' to Jesus is a later Christian invention.

'Messiah' (literally "anointed one") was after the 7 weeks, and is Cyrus (compare Isaiah 45:1), who (according to the Bible) issued 'the word to restore Jerusalem' in 538, 49 years (7 weeks of years) after it was destroyed in 587. (This significant period contrasts with the 'nothing' year of 406BCE selected by the Watch Tower Society for the end of the '7 weeks'.)

'Leader' is not the same person as 'Messiah', despite many English translations ignoring the original Hebrew grammar, and refers to Aristobulus in the 2nd century BCE, who was 'cut off' by Jannaeus.

There's no good reason why Jews would be 'awaiting the Messiah' around 29CE as more likely than any other period.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Man trying to understand JW dosctrine and all their contradictions is crazy. I wonder if they do this to confuse the rank and file into no trying to even study figure they're just stupid and stop trying altogether. Theres a scripture somewhere that states something to the effect that those that try to figure out all the details it will be a waste. Im not saying that we should not scrutinize the bible but the message is that christ is the messiah and he brings gifts of salvation. This is the good news and this is all that counts. When we allow other things to count thats when religion starts to control you.

• factfinder
    factfinder

The regular PDF link still does not work for that issue.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Man trying to understand JW dosctrine and all their contradictions is crazy. I wonder if they do this to confuse the rank and file into no trying to even study figure they're just stupid and stop trying altogether. Theres a scripture somewhere that states something to the effect that those that try to figure out all the details it will be a waste. Im not saying that we should not scrutinize the bible but the message is that christ is the messiah and he brings gifts of salvation. This is the good news and this is all that counts. When we allow other things to count thats when religion starts to control you.

Sorry Crazyguy but that sounds as equally weak a reason to follow the Bible. Whilst it's much simpler to say that Christ is the saviour and all you need to do is bring him into your life it's still a weak reason on which to base your life choices.

I can see how it might make you more live and let live but surely you need to base that faith, that acceptance on something. What's the point if you cannot look the the Bible and see why you feel the need, the benefit, in living that way.

In my experience it's because that once you start looking it does not clarify but confuses.

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

I am amazed that the WT even admit to the existance of the Essene sect, but evidently in their hurry to not be read or understanding apostate lit, have come up with some teaching of 2 Messiahs an Essene teaching I have never come across.

They appear to miss the main point that the book of Daniel is most probably Essene lit written when they believed that they would restore the Davidic line, that they had been preserving, to the temple following the Maccabean revolt.

As I understand the early teaching it was based on the world weeks detailed in the book of Encoh, and that the Essenes had calulated the date for the 7th world week the formation of the plant of rightousness as 238 BCE (1 Enoch 93:10). This was determined to be year AM3430, and at this time the restoration of the Davids was due at the start of the 8th world week AM3920. This scheme was based on the fall of Jerusalem being determined as AM2940, 728 BCE the start of WW6.

During the Maccabean revolt the scheme was revised in the Essene hope that they could restore the Davids to the temple at its conclusion, and Dan 9 is the correction detail to enable them to start the restoration of AM3920 at 168 BCE. This involved changing the start of WW7 to the return from the exile 728BCE plus 70, giving AM3430 as 658BCE (Dan 9:2) and the restoration to of AM3920 to 168 BCE. The Essene David restoration failed to take place following the end of the revolt, and the prophecy was again altered, with a recalculation to place the fall of Jerusalem at 581 BCE, based on the Testiment of Levi 17:2-10.

Therefore AM3430 was now 511 BCE and the restoration of the temple moved to 21 BCE, AM 3920. The year AM3900 now fell at 41 BCE and was the start of the final world mellenium, with the final judgement due in 960 CE. The first generation of 40 years end AM3940, and was declared a zero generation therefore the first generation of the mellenium was now AM3941, 1 CE.

The beginning of the second Jubilee of the 8th world week was now AM3969, 29 CE the same year as Jesus declared it in Luke 4.

With all the date changes made by the Essene I wonder if they where proto-JWs.

• AnnOMaly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit