Who's Going to the Memorial??

by Prisca 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

This may be a bit belated but I wanted to thank everyone for their replies. It is a question I have been thinking of lately, though it seems rather hypocritical to go to the Memorial yet not go to any other meetings. As JAVA said, it's like a form of life insurance.

btw, peaveloveharmony the Memorial is set for Sunday, 8th April.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Oh Frenchy!!!! Don't let 'em get away with that. You're much smarter than they are. Send 'em that registered letter that ties their hands!

Big Hugs,
    RCat

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

This will be my second year of NOT attending. I'm sure it broke my parents hearts the first time.
    Frenchy,
    I am so sorry this is happening to you. But I trust your intelligence and quick thinking will get you through.
    Those questions are scary. I have never been good at skirting issues. I tend to blurt out an honest answer. Toward the end, the only defense I had was to say "I don't want to discuss that". It did tend to stop them in their tracks. After they got my letter of disassociation, they called about a month later. (conference call, made me mad) They said "We would really like to talk to you". I said no, it wouldn't be of any use. I don't want to talk. And that was the end of that.
    TW

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Latte,
    Is there a way to access the latest mags on the net? I have no way of looking at those things in that issue of the Awake, and I would like to see them.
    TW

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Eyes,
    I have been saying that scripture in Matt. applies the JW's for a couple of months now. I even pulled the Bible out and showed it to my husband. We read the context and it really does seem to apply.
    TW

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

At the risk of sounding disrespectful. I just have to share this. Toward the end of my attending meetings, I had lost all respect for most of the elders in my congregation. And it was hard for me to get through the meetings without having negative thoughts.
    You know how after they finish passing the emblems the two Brothers go up front and offer it to each other and the speaker? It started reminding me of a Three Stooges skit. Aren't I bad. It just cracked me up.
    TW

Edited by - thinkers wife on 17 February 2001 6:16:43

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Thank you, TW and Cat. Hugs to you too.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• neyank
    neyank

Something about the Memorial started bugging me when I started questioning the WTS teachings.
    It's true that it is a solemn event. Remembering what Jesus did for us. Contemplating the meaning of the sacrifice that was done on behalf of all people.
    But what bugged me was the fact that as the emblems were being passed around, everyone was watching to see if anyone in attendance was partaking.
    I started to feel that the importance of what Christ did was being lessened and more focus was being put on whether or not someone was going to patake of the emblems.
    That everyone was mesmorized waiting to see if there was actually an "anointed" person in attendance.
    I started to feel that celebrating the Memmorial was just another gimmick to keep the r&f in line.

What do you all think about this?

neyank

• ianao
    ianao

neyank:

I started to feel that celebrating the Memmorial was just another gimmick to keep the r&f in line.

This aspect is what I find disturbing. If I were a JW who felt I was "annointed", then I'd better be prepared for the ridicule that comes with the claim. (mentally ill, self righteous, etc.)

seems a shame.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Frenchy,

I got a call the other night from the new P.O. Seems that 9 months after I stepped down and stopped going to the meetings they want to meet with me.

I suggest a registered letter to the elders, with a cc to your attorney.

"I do not wish to meet or speak with the elders. This does not infer my religious beliefs. If slandered in any way because of this request, I will seek legal counsel."

As you know, playing by their rules is a setup to slander you. You're putting them on notice that you know how they operate. As a result, they might not want to tangle with someone who will bit back. I hope it goes well for you, Frenchy.

---JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit