I thought you were talking about Southampton FC in the English Premier league.
Third from the top
Search engine ranking is now personalised so they factor in your own browsing behavior, previous searches and interests / demographics to show what are likely to be the best results for you. The language you use in the search can also play a part in what results you get (e.g. using colloquialisms).
They do weight sites based on numerous factors including authority (so Wikipedia ranks high because of all their inbound links) and also whether something is the 'official' site. Mentioning / linking to good topics is a way to boost pages (as long as it isn't spammy).
There are also technical factors to make sure you are included in the search results. We rank high because of these plus the content and speed of the site (although it's more that being slow will drop you down more than being fast will get you to the top).
Alexa rankings are not a good measure other than relative placement - the stats they give are a long way off the Google Analytics stats as they only measure people who have their toolbar installed (which is typically dumber IE users).
Still, things are going well - traffic continues to grow and more people get to benefit from what people have contributed to the site and shared with each other over the years. Never underestimate the power of personal stories and experiences - I believe they are far more convincing and powerful for freeing people from the cult than doctrinal debates (although these are valuable too when people are leaving and need to put their minds at ease).
Sometimes just showing that other people care and understand can have a great and lasting impact on someone who is going through the same situations that we've already faced.
Oh, and to answer the specific question: no, I do not pay Google to be listed.
Just looking at Alexa stats ... maybe I am not thinking straight but how is it possible to be ~98,000 globally and only ~126,000 in the US?
Wouldn't the US sites be included globally as well? Surely the global ranking can never be higher than the ranking for any individual country?
its quite to easy to disable Google personalisation - click Search Tools and then change from All Results to Verbatim - boom - natural results (ish)
Here's what i see for "jehovah's Witness" :
- www.jw.org/ Fast Facts—Benin. 9,100,000—Population. 11,005—Ministers who teach the Bible. 168—Congregations. 1 to 827—Ratio of Jehovah's Witnesses to population ... Publications - Magazines - What's New on JW.ORG? - Online Bible
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses Jehovah's Witnesses is a millenarian restorationist Christian denomination with nontrinitarian beliefs distinct from mainstream Christianity. The organization ... Millennialism - Nontrinitarianism - Charles Taze Russell - Restorationism
- www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/witnesses/ Jehovah's Witnesses are members of a Christian-based religious movement probably best known for their door-to-door evangelistic work. Religions - Witnesses: Beliefs - Jehovah's Witnesses at a glance - Customs - History
- carm.org/jehovahs-witnesses The Jehovah's Witnesses go door to door, distribute the Watchtower and Awake magazines, deny the Trinity, the deity of Christ, and deny his physical ...
- www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005394 Jehovah's Witnesses were subjected to intense persecution under the Nazi regime. The Nazis targeted Jehovah's Witnesses because they were unwilling to ...
- www.freeminds.org/ JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ... keeping a critical eye on the Watchtower (Jehovah's Witnesses) ... Consulting on all matters regarding Jehovah's Witnesses
- www.bible.ca/jw.htm Start here · Questions Jehovah's Witnesses don't like to be asked · History ofJehovah's Witnesses · Inspiration of the Watchtower · Jehovah's Witnesses abuse ...
- www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Man-opens-19-times-female-Jehovahs-Witnesses-l... 2 Oct 2013 - Man opened fire 19 times because female Jehovah's Witnesses were 'lolly gaggin' around' when he told them to get off his property.
- christianity.about.com › ... › Denominations › Jehovah’s Witnesses Baptism - Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs teach that baptism by total immersion is a symbol ... Jehovah's Witnesses use the New World Translation of the Scriptures.
- www.catholic.com/tracts/history-of-the-jehovahs-witnesses Fifty years ago the Jehovah's Witnesses numbered fewer than 100,000. Now there are several million of them around the world. They don't have churches; they ...
@Simon Alexa keeps count of National ranking lists and global ranking lists. The US is also included in the global ranking list. The stats for JWN at alexa just tell us that within the United states of America there are more websites more popular than JWN.
Since you have a more international audience the global ranking is higher than many national rankings but at the same time it means that in some countries your website is ranked high.
ranking of JWN in the UK is 21,641
ranking in Romania is 2,931
ranking in the Philipines 10,989
The stats for JWN at alexa just tell us that within the United states of America there are more websites more popular than JWN.....Emeth
Door Knob Collector web sites don`t count..
The WBT$ has a 7 person million captive audience..
JW`s are locked up in a WBT$ Mind Prison..
JW.Org is the only Web Site a JW Brain accepts..
So the WBT$ doesnt count..
The most popular exJW Web Site is JWN..
Thats all that really matters..
Give me a J!..Give me a W!..Give me an N!..
.........What do you Get?!..JWN!!!!!!..
@Outlaw it is not the Jehovah's Witnesses that causes the traffic on JW.ORG.
Most Jehovah's Witnesses rarely see it or just check it only once a month.....Emeth
If it`s not JW`s on the WBT$ Web Site..
..............Then Who Is It??!!!!!.........
emeth that is a lie. Ridiculous. I know from the facebook chatter its total bollocks.
comatose and emeth - neither of you know, so give it a rest.