Is the WTS backing away from "Bible Tall Tales" ?

by Simon 80 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• suavojr
    suavojr

My favorite book is Revelation, that's where you will find all the fun stuff. The book virtually drips with blood and reeks of sulfur. At the center of this final battle between good and evil is an action-hero-like Jesus, who is in no mood to turn the other cheek.

• prologos
    prologos

bohm, no, Noah's ark is the latest publication, the FAITH book complete with family worship night sans bible of course.

so are the angelic swords.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Get your rocks ready ...Simons quoted >Yeah one angle kill 185k in one night.!!!!

Well that SAME ANGEL> The Devil, killed more than that in one hour in the Philliphanins the other day!!!!
    He is still ruling!!!!!!

O.K. Now you can rock me!!!!!

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

why would satan do such a thing? btw, that 185k angel is depicted in the bible as a servant of god.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

I think this is a good topic because as science continues to advance and more and more rational people (even religious ones) start to embrace technology and true history they are going to see that the Bible certainly cannot be taken so literally.

A Bible story about Noah, Samson, Adam and Eve, etc. could simply be STORIES and people are starting to see that they don't have to view every word as literally true.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

The population growth of the Isrealites is another big tall tale. Below is a proof that shows how the numbers reported in the bible are really implausable when tracked against reality.

---------------------------

Current population growth is 1.2 % per year, even being generous and using a 4% population growth rate (which is unrealistic), the number is not even close to the number reported. This does not even factor in the harsh conditions that shortened life during the bronze age.

Ex 1:1-7

Now these are the names of Israel’s sons who came into Egypt with Jacob; each man and his household came: 2 Reu′ben, Sim′e·on, Le′vi and Judah, 3 Is′sa·char, Zeb′u·lun and Benjamin, 4 Dan and Naph′ta·li, Gad and Ash′er. 5 And all the souls who issued out of Jacob’s upper thigh came to be seventy souls, but Joseph was already in Egypt. 6 Eventually Joseph died, and also all his brothers and all that generation. 7 And the sons of Israel became fruitful and began to swarm; and they kept on multiplying and growing mightier at a very extraordinary rate, so that the land got to be filled with them.

Ex 12:37-40

37 And the sons of Israel proceeded to depart from Ram′e·ses for Suc′coth, to the number of six hundred thousand able-bodied men on foot, besides little ones. 38 And a vast mixed company also went up with them, as well as flocks and herds, a very numerous stock of animals. 39 And they began to bake the flour dough that they had brought out from Egypt into round cakes, unfermented cakes, because it had not leavened, for they had been driven out of Egypt and had not been able to linger and too they had not prepared any provisions for themselves.

40 And the dwelling of the sons of Israel, who had dwelt in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years. 41

“Awake!” responds: Exodus 12:40 says: “The dwelling of the sons of Israel, who had dwelt in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.” Note that “the dwelling of the sons of Israel” is not limited to the time the Jews spent in Egypt; instead, it evidently covers the entire period that began with Abraham’s entry into the land of Canaan. The apostle Paul showed that this 430-year period began when the Abrahamic covenant was validated. (Galatians 3:16, 17) That occurred when Abraham entered Canaan in 1943 B.C.E. Bible chronology indicates that it was 215 years before the Jews moved to Egypt. That leaves 215 years for the Jews to have actually “dwelt in Egypt.”—See the article “Chronology,” in Volume 1 of “Insight on the Scriptures,” published by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

http://www.metamorphosisalpha.com/ias/ population .php

• Comatose
    Comatose

So on the population numbers.... I don't get their explanation. I think my unbeleiving mind has been darkened.

What are they saying?

The bible seems to indicate that there were 70 that started the nation when they entered Egypt. And then that quickly became 1.5 million counting kids and women.

What are they saying in that Awake? That thats true but you have to add another 215 years onto it? It is not very clear to me at all.

I want to know the length of time they think 70 became 1.5mil.

• Simon
    Simon

WTS says a combination of both- Yes, Samson had a trick haircut and what is written is literal, but it symbolized Samson's dedication as a Nazerite (or whatever, please correct me, current Bible experts) and how he let his guard down in some way comparible to a JW letting the world tempt them away from WTS. It wasn't REALLY just the haircut, but how he gave in to temptation from "the world."

The bible does say something along the lines of "in time, his hair grew back". If it was nothing to do with his hair then, well, why mention his hair at all? Why not make it about just being faithful or not? Because it makes a good story, nothing more.

I do think it's interesting though that more and more religion is either openly admitting that much of the bible is just "inspirational tales" or else they just stop talking about the parts that are embarrassing if they are claiming it's all 100% true.

But then we all know that when someone says "it's the gospel truth, I swear" ... that they are lying.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The WT are still very Bible Literalist, talking as though both Noah and the Flood were real for example.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Yes phizzy, but talk to a witness indepentently and they deny they teach all those bible stories are literal, and they deny they belive the earth is 6,000 years old...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit