=( Sad... waking up my mom is going to be next to impossible

by ILoveTTATT 18 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

My mom showed me how ferocious a mind-controlled person may be.

I started talking to her about the Septuagint... I don't know at what point the conversation went wrong but she just got angry and said, "Well, I trust that Jehovah has kept the Bible intact... I want to end this conversation"... and I said, "Mom, you haven't even let me finish. I was going to tell you about..."

"I DON'T WANT TO CONTINUE THIS CONVERSATION! STOP THE CAR"

When I stopped the car, she just went out and started walking away from me as fast as she could!!

It was SCARY for me, like she just became possessed or something...

Geez... if you cannot even comment on Bible stuff, how will I even have a chance??

ILTTATT

• Iamallcool
  • Ding
    Ding

You can't teach most JWs anything.

You have to let them teach you.

Ask questions rather than making statements.

Be puzzled by things and ask them to help you understand.

Listen more than you talk.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I had a similar exchange with my grandmother last weekend in regards to "all scriptures are inspired by God." yet many of the scriptures this is applied to didn't even exist when Paul wrote that letter. Though it didn't escalate to the point your exchange did.Some people are just so afraid to look at things objectively. They're so indoctrinated that if one thread is pulled it could unravel the whole garment for them. That's just too scary of a situation for some to face when they've built their whole life around being ignorant. Personally, I've really tried to adopt the live and let live policy with my family. When the time is right they'll seek you out and ask questions. It's a hard reality to face, I understand, but trying to force the issue will just cause the walls between you to be built higher in my experience. Sorry for the hurt i know these situations cause.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

good advice, ding.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I WANT to do the "live and let live" policy, trust me!! I just hope they never get into a life-and-death or some other situation where they make stupid decisions based on WT lies... I could not live with myself if that ever happened, and I had a chance to stop that...

I am ...

I need to do the long game again... remind myself of that...

• whathappened
    whathappened

Some of our family left the organisation easily, others not. I think pride has a lot to do with it. We were taught we had the truth and were proud of that. To learn that it isn't true hurts, it hurts bad.

• Fernando
    Fernando

What Ding said.

("Mom, would you be willing to teach me the Good News according to Paul, using the books Romans through Hebrews?" This is a one way ticket out of the Watchtower - it just takes time and persistence.)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is highly unlikely you can change her. She showed her cognitive dissonance, and how she will do anything to not know the truth, because she wants to believe it. It was a good lesson. I would advise not to talk to her about religion so as to keep a relationship with your mother. It is terrible being judged by family and feeling like a failure to them, when you know you are not, but it is not going to work trying to prove that you are right and they are wrong, at least not for now.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Hahahaha yeah... that's gonna be interesting next week... reading Hebrews...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit