Some more weird ones

by Hortensia 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

A friend, former JW like me, wants me to ask you a question. She remembers as a child that her JW parents believed that Satan could come up through any perfectly round hole and cause you to sin. For instance, if her father built a fire ring at the beach, he purposely put a corner on it so Satan couldn't catch them. She had to get out of the tub before pulling the plug, so Satan wouldn't come up through the drain and get her.

She is wondering whether any of you remember any JW superstition like that or was it unique to her family?

BTW, my psychic neighbor warned me that there will be three days of total darkess starting Nov. 28, and that the entire world economy will collapse next March, leading to an ice age. I'm not sure how a financial collapse would lead to an ice age, but anything's possible. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on the future folks. Buy gold and shotguns!

• bohm
    bohm

Lol, you should make a small bet with him the next time, like 10$

• cofty
    cofty

Never heard that superstition Hortensia.

Thanks for the heads-up - off to buy tins of beans and batteries tomorrow (you've got some nutty neighbours)

• Violia
    Violia

yeah thanks for the heads up, I'll mark Nov 28 on calender and start stocking up on food.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Nup never heard that one. Nutty as a fruitloop. I think your friend's parents watched the movie "The Ring" too much.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Information from SpaceWeather.com posted today, Nov 9, 2013

The Comet ISON is now visible with binoculars.

The Comet is brightening as it plunges toward the sun for a 'perilous' pass through the solar atmosphere on Nov 28th.

It is not, however, the brightest Comet in the night sky.

As November unfolds, there is a rare gathering of 4 Comets rising in the East before dawn.

LoisLane

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Sounds like this father was just a little nuts. Never heard that superstition but heard others like don't buy second hand furniture or nick nacks because they could have demons in them, and never say your fears out loud because Satan will hear and use them to torture you in the great trib.

And JW religion has shed all those silly superstitions of Christendom and the pagans...*sigh*

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

JW's are supposed to be free from superstition! Crazy is as crazy...whatever!

The 3 days of total darkness... globally?

Wait a minute...

If its global "Rip" predicts there will be an unprecedented baby boom nine months later that will overwhelm the economy and precipitate the worldwide monetary collapse which will then cause a lot of wives to give their unemployed husbands the cold shoulder which will be the catalyst for the impending ice age.

Yeah, its plausible! Tell your friend thanks, from " Rip"!!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

LoisLane -- thanks for the cool info. I went over to that page and read this: "Don't delay, because Comet ISON is plunging toward the sun for a perilous encounter on Nov. 28th. At closest approach, the comet will be deep inside the sun's corona and little more than a million kilometers from the fiery stellar surface. If ISON survives--a big IF--it could emerge from solar fire as a naked-eye comet for northern-hemisphere observers in December."

Such interesting stuff!

Bohm - my neighbor spends all her money on new age stuff, she doesn't have anything for a bet

Cofty, Violia -- guns and gold, buy guns and gold (not sure what good they will do but that's the recommendation from the space cadets around here)

Yadda, Julia -- JW superstition has to be experienced to be believed. And they sincerely think they aren't superstitious.

My neighbors include new agers, I AMers, St. Germaine believers, UFOers, believers in Telos, redneck Tea Partiers who want to secede from California and survivalists. And that's just a small sampling. I'm starting to fear I might fall down one of those rabbit holes myself someday.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I prefer gold plated shotguns. Two birds, one stone. Yeah, never heard of that superstition before. The closest I remember to a superstition was, "Don't meditate. It opens the mind to be filled with demons."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit