Meeting for those wishing to be appointed

by PrincessCynic 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PrincessCynic
    PrincessCynic

I heard recently that a nearby congregation which some of my family attend are having this. Basically the elders are arranging an open meeting with all those who would like to be appointed. Is this happening everywhere? Or is it something the local elders cooked up? I've never heard of anything like this before on a congregation level. Obviously there were always meetings at assemblies for bethelites and gilead wannabes.

From what I understand it's a bit of a stagnant cong and the JW who told me couldn't think of one person who might go. Maybe they're feeling desperate.

• alanv
    alanv

I guess there could be good reason for having such a meeting in some areas. If brothers are really showing little interest in taking a position, this is going to affect the congregation, and they are going to start losing members and dollars.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

This Story might be off topic little bit...Well, I know a brother who went out in field service 1 or 2 hours a month for many years. He did not fully realize that he needs to have more hours before he gets appointed as MS or Elder. He has never reached out to be MS or Elder but a new elder moved in his congregation and encouraged him to reach out by inviting him to field service regularly. He got appointed as MS and he is now an Elder.

• blondie
    blondie

The last year my husband was an elder, the elders in a elders meeting reviewed the "qualifications" of every baptized male "in good standing."

They reviewed their time slips, did they have a family study, meeting attendance (does that mean the elders keep an attendance roster), did they volunteer for crappy jobs, did they follow through on their assignments, in the TMS, etc.

Then they made a chart as to who to target as an MS or assistant jobs. They invited all the "brothers" including a 13-year old and gave a symposium on the requirements for elder, MS, assistants. There were only 2 MS and neither could read! They were trying to "grow" brothers. They did identify brothers that could do the following while not an MS.

Assistants

Read at WT Study/Bible Study

Sound/Stage

Literature/Magazines

Help accounts servant collect money

Attendants

Clean KH/outside landscaping/mowing

• cantleave
    cantleave

We arranged one of those a back in 2007, the CO said it would be a good idea as the there were no recommendations from the BoE, lots of young one men and I was the youngest elder (being 40ish at the time). It was felt that although there were people wanting to reach out, we were not aware of it, so a meeting was called.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

they has one of those at my hall and most of the brothers showed up but none ever got called so to speak. I think that maybe the elders at some halls dont want to share power.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

One local congregation has them at least once a year. They ask for all baptized brothers to attend,then,they beg them to reach out. The ones who do most of the work are getting up in age. It seems most of the younger men can't be bothered.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I attended one of these meetings and soon after was asked to take care of the grounds surrounding the K HALL including operating and maintaining the equipment. This was the first step in showing myself reliable for more responsibility...I had served before in another congregation but it took the elders 5 years to find me worthy of mowing the lawn and plowing the snow...After a few CO visits I was made a MS...I was given the accounts, book study conductor and soon was giving public talks. The TATT hit me before I made elder which made my fading easier.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I've been to these. Typical of witnesses they hold a special formal meeting and bore everyone to death rather than just getting together socially once in awhile and building a real relationship and slowly reminding some of the MS or Elder prospects what the qualifications are.

The dubs in decades past knew how to be social with one another. The whole organization seemed warmer and friendlier. The dubs now are just frantic and wore out and have little to no time for socializing.

• Ding
    Ding

"Sorry, brothers, with Armageddon so close I won't have time to attend the meeting."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit