What were Albert Einstien's Religious Beliefs?

by KateWild 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

For me, what a person believes is of less interest than why they believe it. Einstein had such an impact on our view of the way the universe works he will always be an interesting person. The value of his opinions on a particular subject depend perhaps on how much interest and thought he devoted to it, and on what evidence that opinion is based.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

cofty

In which case the concept of god can be discarded and nothing has been lost.

cofty

hmm...budhists would argue that 'nirvana' would be lost without a clear understanding of 'God'.

on the other hand, you can also say that 'you don't know you've lost something if you never knew you had it'.

in each case, the capacity of the mind has dictated whether something has been gained, or lost.

• cofty
    cofty

My point is that if if you are going to redefine god in such a vague way the word loses all meaning, and believing in god becomes precisely the same as not believing.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I postulate that the word god already has lost all meaning, even among Christians god has different meanings (JW vs. Mormon vs. Catholic vs. Amish ...). Everyone is an atheist except when it comes to "their" god. You cannot ask "Do/did you/person x believe in God" to anyone because you should clarify what "god" that is. Is it one of the Viking gods, Greek gods, Roman gods, Canaanite-Judeo gods (there are several), Judeo-Christian gods (there are several), science, nature, ...

• cofty
    cofty

How can science be a god?

• adamah
    adamah

While Einstein was correct on many things, he wasn't perfect nor infallible; that's why Einstein's theories are subject to questioning, testing, and revision (as this article shows) which is actually a sign of scientific advancement:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/science/space/a-black-hole-mystery-wrapped-in-a-firewall-paradox.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

• KateWild
    KateWild

My point is that if if you are going to redefine god in such a vague way the word loses all meaning, and believing in god becomes precisely the same as not believing.-cofty

That's a good point, but its okay. This is why so many claim Einstein was an athiest. If one chooses to be vague it's their perogative. Not everything requires a rigid definition in life cofty

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

It does if you are interested in communicating with another mind.

• adamah
    adamah

Cofty said-

How can science be a god?

You are unfamiliar with Einstein's use of the word, 'God'?

• KateWild
    KateWild

How can science be a god?-cofty

Its not, if you are refferring to me saying I belive in the Chemistry God, I was being facetious and pulling everyone's leg.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit