What were Albert Einstien's Religious Beliefs?

by KateWild 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Written in 1946 for "Autobiographical Notes" 3-5

"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity,which,however,found an abrupt ending at the age of 12. Through the reading of scientific books I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true...Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me."

~~~~

To M.Berkowitz, Oct. 25, 1950, Einstein Archives 59-215

"My position concerning God is that of an agnostic.I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."

~~~

• TD
    TD

I have now attained a google degree in Einstien. I want to study and pursue this further. Even though my google degree was a 1st class honours degree, I feel most of what I have read is inconclusive at this stage. I am going to speak to some of my old lecturers and see what books they recommend.

The definitive work on the subject is Einstein and Religion by Max Jammer. Nobody knew him better.

A fair amount of the information on the internet is at odds with what Jammer relates.

• KateWild
    KateWild

TD, Max Jammer eh? Thnaks for that-Kate xx

• jgnat
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks jgnat, I found it on another site too. I am going to buy this book. Its from Princeton Universty Press. It seems credible enough for me to buy-Kate xx

• jgnat
    jgnat

Kate, I like goodread's reviews. I was pointing towards that more than anything. Call me cheap.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well as for Max Jammers take on it. Einstien expressed that finer speculation of science springs from religious feeling. So he is saying what caused scientific enquiry for him. It was the same for me. Maybe it's a Jewish thing, he expressed this in 1929 in New York. At this conference apparantly other scientists were saying words to the effect of keeping God out of the lab.

Religious feeling, athiest, agnostic, Spinoza's God, Personal God, Creator, Intelligent being.

All of the above words and pharazes can get us caught up in semantics. At age 50, I would say in loose terms Einstien believed in God, and that belief led him to his scientific enquiries and his amazing discoveries. I think Einstien actually did belive in God.

If any wish to argue the term "religious feeling" feel free to disagree with me.

From this excerpt I want to buy the book and learn more about him. I am interested in reading something I can grasp, that is not over my head. I may change my mind after reading more.

Kate xx

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Einstein talked about God in a very ethereal way. When he talked about 'God' he was pointing at the nature around him, he had no and did not believe in a personal or Christian god, he was very clear about that.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Einstein talked about God in a very ethereal way-anon

The way he talked about God, is semantics. The fact he talked about God, is the point for me.

• KateWild
    KateWild

From the god-of-the-gaps thread..............

When Einstein discovered a complex equation to explain how energy is produced, he did not say it required supernatural intervention. He just accepted and believed God did it.-Kate xx

He really didn't-cofty

Oh yes he did, well I think so anyway atm - Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit