Matthew 5:37. A question for all who stand for pure worship!

by DATA-DOG 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Wouldn't it be correct to say that no one knows the correct pronunciation, but that Jehovah is a generally accepted English pronunciation of YHWH? Would it be be correct and fair, or even scriptural, to say that using the name " JEHOVAH" is an identifying mark of " true Christians ", and that Jehovah IS God's name?

Sir182, good point. I have friend named Esteban. Is his name Steve?

DD

• tec
    tec

No.

(His name is Jahveh - pronounced with the y sound, so Yahveh... and his son's name is Jaheshua, also pronounced with the y sound... (sounds "like" Joshua with a y for the j). The one who came in the name of Jah has Jah in his name; just like many prophets of Jah also have Jah in their name, or El (God)... EliJAH (meaning my God is Jahveh); IsraEL; EzekiEL; JeremIAH, DaniEL, NehemIAH, IsaIAH, JeremIAH... IAH, being pronounced with the Yah sound also, and being a short form of Jahveh. If Christ came in the name of His Father, in the name of Jahveh, why would his name not reflect his father's? He was no less than any of these prophets, and His name means Jah saves)

Peace to you,

tammy

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Nope!

• KateWild
    KateWild

I personally don't think Jehovah minds what we call him. What do I know I am new.

Kate xx

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

lol Thanks DD. What a fun way to start the day. lol

LoisLane

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

Nope.

Some masorete threw a Y a W and two Hs in a scrabble bag with some vowels... hey presto!

At least that's what it says in my history books.

(But I call god Bob, he doesn't seem to mind at all)

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Is JEHOVAH God's name?

No. But it's a pretty good guess.

The word is a Latin-based hybrid of the vocalization of the Hebrew tetragrammaton (YHWH) as the proper name of the Hebrew god. Basically, Latin letters were used to replace Hebrew letters, and because the Hebrew alphabet has no vowels, the vowels were just assumed. "Jehovah" as a word didn't exist until the 1500s. Since then it has been somewhat debated because of the bastard nature of translation (letter-for-letter translation) and the assumption of the vowels. But it was widely accepted by the prodestants who included it in thier bible... which is how the JW's got a hold of it.

SIDE NOTE: To use ONLY the tetragrammaton for the name of god is a little disrepectful. The Hebrew god actually has many names depending on the aspects of YHWH (Orthodox Jews would argue this, I think). So, unless one uses ALL the names given and understand the meaning of each one, there is no gravity given to YHWH as a god... he is over-simplified in presentation.

It would be like trying to encompass all the effect that William Shakespeare has had on world literature humanity by just simply calling him "Willy".

• DS211
    DS211

The point isnt really about how to pronounce his name, it is really the emphasis in which the WTBS put on that name....THAT name is the one they claim is the one that saves you...when in fact Jesus was the only name in the NT given. For me if i called my dad by his first name hed scold me...further what could be more personal than calling the God of creation "Father". In fact this us how Jesus addressed him in the "model" prayer--the prayer we use as a template so to speak. Hmmmm

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

on another thread some said his name is richard dawkins.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit