Can one find God without studying the Bible?

by Dis-Member 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

To turn the question on its head..
    “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” - Isaac Asimov

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

So to Discuss on the topic itself. Can one find God after reading the Bible ? I mean a tangible form of god and not some imaginations based on some ancient writings.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Even as today ancient Jews taught their children how to read the Law.

Ancient historians remark on this The Law..orders that they shall be taught to read,

and shall learn both the laws and the deeds of their forefathers,

in order that they may imitate the latter, and, bring grounded in the former,

may neither transgress nor have any excuse for being ignorant of them."

Every Jewish child must read the Torah in Hebrew even today and this has

been going on for thousands of years. Jesus was 12 in the Temple arguing

the law with adults, but the fact he had read the Law was not unusual.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

J esus, commented " Who of you when he builds a

tower does not first calculate the expense...."

This involved mathematicas and lists of materials

and building plans. Jews have always been

the most literate, because they base their whole

system of worship on the written Law and

debate its fine points in Temple. Reading Torah was required.

Scrolls were available to all in the Temple and rich people had their own.

Jesus went into the Temple and picked up the scroll of

Isaiah and began reading from it, this was common practice.

Jews also washed themselves, because it is required in the Law,

this also made them unusual in the ancient world and odd

to Europeans through and up until about the 19th century

when bathing caught on.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Well being logical...

The Native Americans had no bible - yet they had Gods

The Aborigines had no bible - yet they had Gods

etc....

Every civilization that was not in the middle east had GODs yet they had no access to the bible. So i guess the obvious answer would be yes.

Unless you are referring to the GOD of the Bible. If you have never had access to the bible there would be no way you could get to know him.

• prologos
    prologos

so, if literacy, particularly of the ancient Hebrew writings helped spirituality, "god"-think,

what will the result of the scientific approach be and how will this come about?

• Bella15
    Bella15

OF COURSE YOU CAN!

"For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God."

Within the Christian faith - the oral found its way to the written word ... a collection of books like the bible it was necessary for future generations to also find the MESSIAH!!!!!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

This is a great question. It's impossible for me to answer in an un-biased way. I have to refer to the Bible to answer the question. It may be impossible for anyone to answer. If you found someone who had never heard of the Bible, how would they answer? What is their concept of a God? Once you explain to them the Biblical concept of God, you have made them biased as well. They would have to know your God to even begin to answer the question.

God only knows..LOL!! See what I mean??

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

So the next question is.. if we are having such a hard time finding and knowing God and Jesus.. should they not both reach out and make a special and personal effort to find and know us individually? It is so easily within their power to touch our hearts and convert us each forever?

Why does God not help us?

• InChristAlone
    InChristAlone

When asking questions like, "Is such-and-such necessary?", I tend to think of the thief on the cross. Is baptism necessary? Is reading the Bible necessary? Is a year of training and passing a test necessary? No, no, and no. However, for those who believe, reading the Bible can help you "know" God. In my opinion, "taking in accurate knowledge of..." is a HORRIBLE translation for this very reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit