Just stumped 2 Elders! Lol

by El_Guapo 45 Replies latest jw friends

• biometrics
    biometrics

Wouldn't every religion be a cult according to the dictionary defintion of 'cult'?

Cult (noun) - 1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.

Does anyone have a better definition?

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

El_Guapo - This was actually one thing that helped me wake up. A brother said that his neighbor had told him JW's are a cult. He found some info (from the Watchtower, of course.) but the neighbor wasn't convinced. So he asked me about it. I looked up the exact definition of a cult and found Steve Hassan's book. This was a shocker for me! I WAS A MEMBER OF A CULT.

Hi El_Guapo, I once told an ex-JW that the WTBTS was a F'ing cult, but he said that it wasn't. I should have said that the WTBTS is a dangerous cult, so that when he said that it isn't I could have said "You are right that it is not a religious cult, but how can you say it is not a dangerous cult?" I would have then suggested that then he read or learn about Steve Hassan's BITE model to be able to justify his opinion that the WTBTS is not a dangerous cult.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• jhine
    jhine

As the action of shunning was brought up , I have some problems with this because when I ask local JWs about this they point out that scripture says that if someone is sinning and will not repent then to paraphrase slightly ;-

" the person should be removed from the protection of the church " ,

I cannot remember the exact verse at the moment but there is an instruction to the early church which is used to back up this practice . Now I have asked ministers what they think this means in practice , how do you actually carry out this instruction ? No one seems to know as we in other denominations don't tend to go for that nowadays .

Can anyone shed any light on what this instruction should translate into in actuality ? I know that the writer did not mean for Christians to behave in the barbaric way that the org does , splitting families and ruining lives. But this is one subject that I do feel at a loss to discuss with Witnesses .

Jan

• jhine
    jhine

bumped , hoping for some help with this

• VM44
    VM44

"Have you ever wondered what happens to us when we die?"

That is a nice cheery way of starting a conversation with a stranger.

"there is no acceptable way to leave the JW's. Is that true, sir?

"The younger one said, well it's been good talking to you, but we have to go. Have a good day."

Typical JW response.

• nugget
    nugget

brilliant just fabulous.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

jhine - As the action of shunning was brought up , I have some problems with this because when I ask local JWs about this they point out that scripture says that if someone is sinning and will not repent then to paraphrase slightly ;-

" the person should be removed from the protection of the church " , . . .

Can anyone shed any light on what this instruction should translate into in actuality ? I know that the writer did not mean for Christians to behave in the barbaric way that the org does , splitting families and ruining lives. But this is one subject that I do feel at a loss to discuss with Witnesses .

Hi jhine, Have you asked your local JWs to tell you which scripture that the WTBTS is using to justify its shunning policy or have you started another thread asking other JWN members that question. IMHO the WTBTS is twisting what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 5:9-11. If you read all of 1 Corinthians you should find plenty of scriptures to refute the WTBTS's shunning policy for JWs who no longer believe that the WTBTS has the truth. I would also recommend that you read a study bible with annotations by biblical scholars to better understand the times and circumstances that influenced Paul's writings. Also, Paul was Saul and therefore influenced by his Jewish education that may have influenced his writings about women, shunning, and the importance of an organized religion to spread the words of Jesus Christ.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• jhine
    jhine

thanks Robert .

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

well done a good antiwitness

• jhine
    jhine

o.k, I have had a chance to look at the Corinthians verses, and yes , they probably would be used .

You made the point , Robert , that the shunning rule was used to silence dissenters which is not covered in the Cor . verses , but looking through quickly I found Rom . 16 : 17 -

" I urge you brothers , to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching that you have learned . Keep away from them ."

Now , as much as I do not like it , and I really don't , they could use that verse to justify shunning those who question . This subject is driving me mad .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit