Jehovah is King! New Light or muck up in 15/01/14 WT?

by wizzstick 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

So the new Jan WT article on "100 Years of Kingdom Rule—How Does It Affect You?" is up, which I think has its own thread. But over on JWR poster cg4205 has noticed something that demands a seperate thread I think.

At the top of the article, in the Can You Answer box, it says:

How did Jehovah become King in 1914, and what were some of the Kingdom’s early accomplishments? (Bold mine)

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20140115/100-years-kingdom-rule/

What? Surely this is Jesus?

It looks like it is a typo rather than new light as paragraph 3 makes the clear point that it's Jesus. But come on, the typo checking team cocked up with the Numbers numbering in the Silver Sword and now this.

Where is the Holy Spirit these days?!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Nope, not new light. I recall they said Jehovah sort of become king in 1914 vicariously through Jesus in the 'Revelation It's Grand Climax at Hand' book.

Blondie will confirm.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

I seem to remember that too - but that point is not discussed in the article. It's Jesus that is referred to as king.

So a (really) embarressing typo I guess.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

No just familiar gobbledygook. They like to talk about how Jehovah becomes king even though he is already king.

• processor
    processor

It doesn't matter whether they write 'Jehovah' or 'Jesus', since in fact it was the President of the Watchtower Society who became King in 1914.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It is a familiar motif in Scripture. The Org. didn't pluck this one from thin air.

(1 Chronicles 16:31) . . .Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be joyful, And let them say among the nations, ‘Jehovah himself has become king!’

(Psalm 97:1, 2) . . .Jehovah himself has become king! Let the earth be joyful. Let the many islands rejoice. Clouds and thick gloom are all around him; Righteousness and judgment are the established place of his throne.

(Isaiah 24:23) . . .And the full moon has become abashed, and the glowing [sun] has become ashamed, for Jehovah of armies has become king in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem and in front of his elderly men with glory.

(Revelation 11:16-18) . . .And the twenty-four elders who were seated before God upon their thrones fell upon their faces and worshiped God, saying: “We thank you, Jehovah God, the Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and begun ruling as king. But the nations became wrathful, and your own wrath came, and the appointed time for the dead to be judged, and to give [their] reward to your slaves the prophets and to the holy ones and to those fearing your name, the small and the great, and to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.”

These texts refer to the hope that Jehovah is universally recognized as king and thus, in a sense, becomes king anew. It's a little like having Cyrus as king of Persia for many years, but he only becomes king of Babylonia and its territories, and recognized as such by its peoples, when he conquers the capital city. He then titles himself "king of the world."

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Hell, they even wrote a song about it.

Just think, once the 1000 year reign of Christ is over and he hands all authority back to Jehovah, the GB and finally kick Jesus to the curb forever! It will be glorious, just the GB and The Big J ruling for eternity.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Thanks all, and thanks for the quote AnnOMaly. 2+2=5 - that is very funny.

Still seems an odd way of expressing it as the text only mentions Jesus.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

*** it-2 p. 156 King ***
    KING
    A sovereign who has authority to rule over others. Jehovah is the supreme King, possessing unlimited power and authority. The kings of Judah were subordinate kings who represented His sovereignty on earth. Like them, Jesus Christ is a subordinate King, but with far greater power than those earthly kings, because Jehovah has put him in the position of ruling the universe.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

It's good to be the king!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit