"you're pretty compassionate for an atheist"

by Hortensia 47 Replies latest jw friends

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

I am an atheist that knows very little about evolution or the Big Bang, I became an atheist because of controlling cults and religion. The thing I hate most about religion is the religious prejedous that they think they are justified by hidding behind deity in a book of fiction, that racist sexist homophobe genocidal pro death multi personality maniac of a god.

I just can't stand a person who claims and preaches as a christian, little does he know that there is little different between god and hitler (or any human dictator for that matter) a religioun that had enslaved many african americans, a religion that has condemned gays to death, adulteres etc. And that the bible was used for anyone to defend their country which according to history christian nations have thought other christian nations.

And this post by our christian friend here proves how oblivies he is to reality, to science and critical thinking, confirmation bias set to max.

On the bright side atheism is increasing, it's not surprising with all the understanding we now have it was very conviniante for god to appear during when all sorts of believes existed and that technology was non existent, and that everyone could not read or write.

• kassad84
    kassad84

He said to His disciples, "It is inevitable that stumbling blocks come, but woe to him through whom they come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea, than that he would cause one of these little ones to stumble.

• AbaDaddy
    AbaDaddy

kassad84, only a fascist regime, like religion, or a gangster, would make such threats. there is an answer as to why this kind of ignorance is enforced, and the answer may be very revealing. it is this kind of thinking that has in the past held, and attempts to persist in holding, humanity and its progress in bondage. Faithful and discreet slave indeed.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I’m a Christian but evolution is true and a fact that atheists are largely correct on. That said it is also true that the denial of evolution is of a minority in the Christian world if all Christians in all denominations are looked at together, a fact lost in the rhetoric.

• losingit
    losingit

I understand why someone would say that. Misconceptions sbound. Im not an atheist. I believe there was a Creator. Im not sure if I believe that he is God. I don't understand how atheists could have different beliefs. Basically, you reject the existence ofthe Creator and God. There's not much to say after that.

• Laika
    Laika

Cofty

I am not sure what villagegirl thinks but I would appreciate some book recommendations on evolution, the only books I have ever read on evolution were produced by the Society, which were probably not too helpful...

• adamah
    adamah

Laika said-

I would appreciate some book recommendations on evolution

I'd say start with Dawkin's latest, "Why We Know What We Know". It's actually written for kids/teens as an introduction to science, but it's also good intro for ex-JWs.

I like Eugenie Scott's "Evolution vs Creationism" as it's well-written and comprehensive as an overview without getting into the thick of it, and then dig into Dawkin's other topics on evolution (eg "Greatest Sow on Earth") since you should be up and running, at that point. Then you're at the level of being able to go beyond the stuff written for laypeople, and can get into reading academic-level stuff.

Adam

• Laika
    Laika

Thanks Adam, I'll go download them for kindle now. :)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

THAT is when you kick 'em in the nuts.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Love your answer stillin... yes, we atheists have a heart to the surprise of many.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit