"you're pretty compassionate for an atheist"

by Hortensia 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

My favorite compliment of the day. What a lot of assumptions people have about what makes an atheist tick.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Compassion doesn't have much to do with religion. It is a character trait, not a doctrine. St. Thomas More burned Protestants before his beheading for not conforming to Henry VIII's desire. Did he have compassion as his victims burned? Religion is full of horrific incidents. Zealotry leaves little room for compassion.

I go rabid when a Christian announces to me that Jesus caused my facial pain so I could do a great work. They are surprised that it makes me angry and brings out the Jesus quote factory in me.

Well, at least you did not eat three infants today b/c you are an atheist.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

If someone said that to me I would say "So, you only show compassion because your religion forces you to do so? How odd, I just do it on my own."

• stillin
    stillin

An elder's wife posed this question for a car group to ponder: is the world capable of agape love?

Lots of discussion, lots of self righteousness.

I said that I felt that Doctors Without Borders was just one example of principled love for fellow man.

I fell another notch from grace for offering my honest opinion.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Oh, it just made me laugh. People are so funny!

• whathappened
    whathappened

People are very ignorant about Atheists. The prisons are full of believers. Divorce rates are high in the Churches. Atheist's usually have higher education than religious zealots. I didn't know this. I thought it was the opposite.

• adamah
    adamah

Yeah, I just those "you're pretty XXXX for being a YYYY" back-handed "compliments", where it's actually a thinly-veiled insult for being a YYYY.

Adam

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I think there is also ignorance as to what some Christians think, along with Muslims, gays and so on. Stereotypes are dangerous wherever they are when left unsupported by reason.

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

Best underhanded remark I ever had from a jdub was "but you seem so intelligent".

Gotta love it.

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

The thing about atheists is, their belief system is built upon chaos, if not fantasy. You're talking about a demographic of people that fanatically devote themselves to the premise that life came out of nowhere. Not only that, but when it came about, it's building blocks provided a recipe for the impossible. That being, man evolved from monkies which is the atheist equivalent of the Genesis account. That said, it's difficult if not entirely impossible to believe these people have any compassion for their fellow man considering they believe everything in existence came about by chance. They remind me of the sociopath in No Country for Old Men in that they believe the purpose in life is as meaninglessness as a coin toss. That said, atheism may be as dangerous to modern civilized society as communism was in the previous century.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit