Why do you still go to meetings?

by Aroq 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aroq
    Aroq

I'm asking this because there are a few on this site who do not agree with the WT or GB, but yet still go to meetings.

Why?

• Dutchdelight
    Dutchdelight

To get reinstated. All my family is still inside.

• BU2B
    BU2B

I go so I can wake up my wife and free my family while still having credibility in their minds and without setting off apostate alarms.

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

First to be funny....there isn't anything on TV...First before first....The Truth does have a ring of Truth...I think that's why many of us still go...Some of the stuff they bring out from the scriptures make sense & some of it is man made. Let's face it, would you rather come back to earth or burn all the time in hell. Going to Heaven, we all could not walk on clouds, we are too heavy. Jesus not being God...makes sense...too many scriptures that point to the fact the Jesus is not his own father...example: When Jesus was baptized & came out the water....a voice from heaven said...I'm pleased with you my son, I think it went something like that...but is God bipolar or can he throw his voice...When Jesus says he's going to sit on the right hand of his father, how can you sit next to yourself. God said to believe in his son...We all agree that God is not about confusement....if he wanted us to think he was Jesus & God, he would have just said so. He sent his son, to kind of change the rules a bit..once everyone only believed in him, now he added his son...so he expected our obedience to now believe in his son & him. What is so hard about that. Just a little adjustment. Holidays, how happy are we really on holidays, if you give a person a gift & it's expensive, don't you expect the same value of a gift in return, but do you get it ? No then you complain how much you spent the gift & the person gave you a cheaper gift...Happy Birthday...how happy is it if there is a value attached to it..Xmas, folks are the most depressed at that time of year, they kill themselves, get into debt...how many sweaters does a person need or ties or whatever...Grown folks need $$$, maybe to pay a bill or buy some food...oh, forgot to mention most folks forget birthdays...why do you think they have belated B'day Cards...Blood Transfusion..a very very personal choice. The Truth takes away some of the sting of traditions other religions place upon folks...not to say the witnesses don't add burdens, that's man. Here's something to think about...The Truth...leads you to....THE REAL TRUTH..now if one wants to stay after learning the real truth that's ok, if you want to leave then that's ok too. Many of us go because some of us have met some nice folks who are nothing like the GB's. Most of the friends don't swallow most of it...THAT'S WHY THEY ARE HERE, THEY WANT TO STAY BUT THEY COME HERE...TO VENT.

Legacy

• Aroq
    Aroq

I appreciate all of your responses so far.

Dutchdelight and BU2B, I can see how family is the dirving factor for obvious reasons.

Legacy, I hear exactly what you are saying too. some of the things you mentioned are man made anyway, gift equality, depression, debt, some holidays. There was more to you answer and it seemed to me that you have a genuie desire for God, that's great. There was little parts where you defined your beliefs as well that aligned with the WT teaching. That's ok too and you clearly said that some do not follow the WT completely and come here to vent. I thank you for your honesty.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

To bide my time until I am ready to move away from tab-keepers* and fade.

*Tab-keepers (n., plural): 1. Ones who keep tabs on you.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

In the days of the apostles, I don't recall reading anything requiring anyone to going to weekly meetings. The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, I think, are teaching for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.

Things like meetings, except the Sabbath meetings, are not set forth in the New Testament. Neither is the doctrine that all baptized members are ministerial servants. There were no publishers in the first century, but there were elders and seventy. Now, in our day, the GB has (like the ancient Jewish leaders) an entire scratch pad of commandments and expectations for the church they administer.

Can people be disfellowshiped for not going from door to door? And what if circumstances exist that would keep them from attending meetings throughout the week? Anciently, the first principles of the gospel were faith, repentance and baptism of water and the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands, but nowhere is the aministration of meetings mentioned in the NT.

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

My entire family is in. I go to not cause a strain on our relationship. There is not much the watchtower teaches that I think is truth.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

My entire family was in too, apart from my children, who left in their teens thank goodness.

But I stopped going when I realised that my being there was simply reinforcing my family's belief it was the truth.

I also simply could not stomach it anymore.

Staying has no benefits apart from not rocking a boat that needs not just rocking, but sinking.

I could no longer support such an Organization, even just by my presence at meetings, and have self-repect and integrity.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Becuase I don't have billy big bollocks that are big enough to cope with the pain, hassle and almighty fallout there would be if I simply stopped, let alone if I actually was completely open about how I don't believe a word of it any more.

I am on a very slow, slow fade. So far so good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit