New Bible info, Jah name x6 locations & other reports

by OwnAccord 15 Replies latest jw friends

• rawe
    rawe

Hi OwnAccord,

"Jehovah’s name – six more times in the bible. The Evidence has been found and confirmed in the Dead Sea Scrolls and other manuscripts – since our last bible. Judges 19:18, 1Sam 2:25, 1Sam 6:3, 1Sam 10:26, 1Sam 23:14, 1Sam 23:16"

I have The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible by Martin Abegg, Jr., Peter Flint & Eugen Ulrich, (c) 1999.

#1: Judges 19:18 - not part of the Dead Sea Scrolls - page 211

#2: 1 Sam 2:25 - If one person sins gravely against another, he will appeal to the LO[R]D - ftn 46: 4QSam, God will mediate MT. - page 218

#3: 1 Sam 6:3 - They answered, ["I]f [you send back the ark of] the covenant of the LORD, God of Israel, do not send [it back empty. You must] return him a sin [of]fering. Then [you] will be healed, [and you] will make atonement for [yourselves. Will his hand not leave you?"] - ftn 73. 4QSam, LXX. Not in MT. - page 221

#4: 1 Sam 10:26 - S]aul [al]so [went to his house in Gibeah]. The valient men [wh]ose hearts the LO[RD] had touched [went] with Saul. - ftn 92, LXX. Not in MT.

#5: 1 Sam 23:14 - [David lived in the wilderness in the strongholds and stayed in the hill country in Ziph wilderness. Saul hunted for him every da]y, but the LO[RD] did not deliver him [into his hand. - ftn 142: 4QSam LXX. God MT. - page 232

#6: 1 Sam 23:16 - Jonathan, Sau]l['s son, got up and w]ent to [David at Horesh and encouraged him in the LOR]D - ftn 143: 4QSam, LXX. God Mt. - page 232

In reading the material above, note only the material not inside square brackets actually appear in the Dead Sea Scrolls. Nonetheless because of multiple sources and other careful analysis I think we can be confident that even though the tetragrammaton only appears fully in one of the references, where it appears partially it likely did stand there before this bit of the scroll deteriorated.

In the case of #1, I assume that either falls under the "other manuscripts" reference or additional Dead Sea Scrolls have been discovered since the 1999 book was published.

Material in italics indicates a variant compared to the MT (Masoretic Text). Thus for consistency one should expect the 2013 would use the entire variant from the Dead Sea Scrolls. Does it? I haven't look it up.

But... I think these restoration actually make for an interesting argument against the use of the name Jehovah entirely! No question, the oldest Dead Sea Scrolls include YHWH (or part of). However, notice in most of these cases 4QSam agrees with LXX (Septuagint) against the MT. This fact tends to show that while the LXX is a translation, it is likely more reliable than the MT. And... the Bible used by Christian writers was not the MT -- but instead the LXX. For example, Hebrews 1:6 quotes Deut 32:43 from the LXX, not the MT which is fair bit different.

Alas, we can be pretty certain that copies of the LXX used by Christian writers had already replaced YHWH with LORD and this is the reason why "Jehovah" never appears in NT writing. So if one makes the argument the 4QSam holds authority over the MT, you cannot dismiss the fact LXX often agrees with Dead Sea Scrolls against the MT.

Also, if the Dead Sea Scrolls carry authority to restore the divine name, then what about Psalm 151A in 11QPs? (page 585) This additional Psalm starts with "O A Hallelujah", has the divine name in two places and appears to be written by David in the first person! If new Psalms were added to the 2013 NWT, that would be interesting news.

Cheers,

-Randy

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

And if you are English speaking, you got a new NWT. If not, then you will have to "wait on Jehovah" for another cold front. I found it ironic that the japan branch printed English version Bibles? Really! Guess it was more important for us English speakers to get the new version before the rest of the world. Jehovah loves us more! And he should since JW's are an American religion.

eyeuse2badub

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

They added only 6 more Jehovahs to the bible? Lame. They should start using the word "Jehovah" in the same manner that the Smurfs use the word "Smurf".

"This good Smurf of the Kingdom shall be Smurfed in all the inhabited land, for a Smurf to all the nations, and then the Smurf will come"

See? We could have 4 more instances of the word "Jehovah" in there with just one verse!

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

At least the Smurfs are a happy clan... always singing that happy tune. La la la la la la, la la la la la...

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

you know whats funny? if you watch any of the documentrys they produce about how great they are and all the stuff they do at bethel only because God has helped them, and then you pop in a documentry about how UPS operates, God clearly is in charge of them too. Because they way UPS (fedex too) operates is also amazing according to their standards.

Anything they do is emphasized and exaggerated to such an insane degree, i wonder whats next. "hey look, we just ate a bowl of soup! only with Gods spirit can such a feat be done!"

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

You'd be hard pressed to find a more self-congratulatory organization in the world. It gets old, even if you're in it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit