Jesus sacrifice and animal sacrifice contradiction

by trackregister99 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Oh, you saw my WT link and raised me a Leolaia link! Well met. I thought this part was especially interesting:

The KJV has translated the strong adversative w'wlm as "and surely" [in 14:18], which obscures the fact that it is emphatically marking an antithesis or opposition. It is better translated as "But no!" (JB), "but" (NIV, NASB, HCSB), "But in the real world" (CEV), or "but indeed", "however", or "nevertheless" as indicated in the lexicons. By using the adversative, Job indicates that his wish is not a real hope. As mentioned in my earlier posts, the nature similes that follow reinforce the point Job made earlier that there is no return from death: mountains erode away, and waters wear stones down. Stones do not reform like trees. These would be the wrong nature similes to mention if Job wanted to express his hope for a return to life from death!

Wow, this is news to me. I never noticed 18 before, and wouldn't have understood that it represented a change in subject, "back to reality". But it's interesting that the NWT that I grew up with rendered verse 18 as:

However, a mountain itself, falling, will fade away, And even a rock will be moved away from its place.

and the revised NWT now says:

As a mountain falls and crumbles away And a rock is dislodged from its place,

They've removed the "however".

• Comatose
    Comatose

Fascinating on Job. One day I'm going to sit down and read every post of Leolaia's.

• adamah
    adamah

Apo says:

However, a mountain itself, falling, will fade away, And even a rock will be moved away from its place. and the revised NWT now says:

As a mountain falls and crumbles away And a rock is dislodged from its place, They've removed the "however".

And those are the kinds of changes which various translations that change the meanings of the words over time. It's rather ironic that the JWs don't believe in the theory of evolution, when their Holy Bible is evolving right before their very eyes, LOL!

On another topic, it's interesting that the ancient misbelief in resurrection is reflected in Job's comparion, noting that cutting down a tree was NOT equivalent to human mortality, since Job didn't know that in some cases the tree's root system remained viable even if the tree was chopped down. They would've freaked out if they had any experience with a flatworm or salamander, which can regenerate body parts if they were cut off....

BTW, Leolaia wrote another post on the story of Job as a whole, pointing out how later redactor(s) modified the account by adding a narrative intro/conclusion to the poetic "core" (and even added the younger character into the poetic core), essentially undermining the argument of "God works in mysterious ways" by adding the element of God being the authorizer of Satan, doling out undeserved evil (where Job was chosen simply BECAUSE he was pious):

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/233839/2/JOB-Was-He-Used-As-A-Gambling-Pawn#.UmgGQCQhZLc

Adam

• trackregister99
    trackregister99

Note from december 2013: I've realized that for me is not clear why animals sacrifice was requested, maybe as a faith demostration.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit