250,000 Jehovah's Witnesses have died refusing blood

by nicolaou 739 Replies latest watchtower medical

• adamah
    adamah

Marvin said-

My method has no dependency on a “Group C” except to have a total against which to establish a ratio. That is to say, the only dependency of the “Group C” you speak of in my method is to establish the number of JWs in New Zealand over the period of the study (1998-2007). This aggregate value for years 1998-2007 is: 126,989.

Of course your method has no dependency on Group C (NZ JWs), which is EXACTLY the point: in statistics, we try to draw conclusions ABOUT the population by SAMPLING it. As long as the sample is representative, we're OK. There are analyses which can be used to calculate the probabilty that the sample is valid (confidence intervals), but you obtain an invalid sample if you don't have reasonable level of confidence and certainty that it truly IS representative for what is claims to represent (the figure of JW deaths Worldwide).

Group C (NZ JWs: 13k people) is your (Marvin's) 'target population', and once again, you're forced to assume that Group C is a 'matched set' (in terms of it's various properties), when it's unproven that it DOES match; that issue hasn't been investigated yet (much less demonstrated), and unlike the medical researchers who participated in the study, it's impossble to create a 'matched set' by pulling charts with the same characteristics from the entire NZ population, since the patients were drawn from only a limited region. That is an assumption, and it's not only an assumption about ethnicity, but OTHER UNKNOWN FACTORS (eg variance in treatment skills, different in practice methods amongst various providers, etc) which might effect the results. You are ASSUMING that they're similar, but you cannot do that; you simply assume that the 13,000 JWs in NZ match the characteristics of the study participants.

That's the problem with working backwards, as you've done: you cannot assure that the characteristics of Group C match Group A (which was matched by creating a matched set by pulling medical records and including those who actually MATCHED, creating a Group B). Your method ASSUMES that the conditions that apply to the study participants apply to ALL JWs living in NZ, but that is an ASSUMPTION that is questionable, and should be understood by you as such, as otherwise you're only fooling yourself.

Marvin said-

I’ve not assumed any matched set against a world population. I’ve assumed that JW patients in New Zealand receive on average a better standard of care across the spectrum you cite compared with the average standard of care in the world. When it comes to comorbidities, hospital admission, treatment modalities, treatment protocols, etc. what we find among JWs in New Zealand is no different than the rest of the world overall, and I have not treated these as different.

Your assumption is not demonstrated to be valid to North America, much less the rest of the World. You ASSUME that JWs are not directed to go to area hospitals (eg Scripps in San Diego, CA) which attract skilled surgeons who specialize in performing bloodless surgery on JWs, where every area has a Healthcare Team Liason who knows to direct JWs to the hospital that is equipped to provide better specialized care. WHere any of the four hospitals known for providing experts trained and experienced in performing the latest techniques? This most definitely would be a factor for treating severe anemia, as the health care providers would have access and experience using different treatment protocols not available to a surgeon at a smaller regional hospital.

Another example?

NZ uses different protocols for severe anemia than the US, eg 'transfusion triggers', as recommended by various organizations, some of which don't apply to various countries, i.e. there is no standard treatment applicable Worldwide for severe anemia. That makes the original study problematic, since you assume the control group (the non-JWs) would be similar to non-JWs Worldwide. The standards used in NZ differ from those used in Zimbabwe, which are different from those used in India, etc.

Heck, even the skills of different providers vary, since they aren't robots: the practice of medicine allows some freedom in the treatment decisions that are made with patients, and malpractice rates vary amongst different Nations. This is why it's called "practicing medicine"; some surgeons nick more arteries during surgery, or overuse blood transfusions products in "First-World" hospitals, whereas some under-utilize blood transfusions; you're assuming a uniformity that just isn't proven.

In generating your wild hand-waving figure, you're assuming none of these factors matter or you tell yourself you've accounted for them "conservatively", but you're missing that EACH STEP TAKEN, EACH CLAIM YOU MAKE, REQUIRES supportive evidence to back it up: that's the entire REASON that so many footnotes exist in a journal article making as HUGE of a claim as yours!

You do realize that in science the one who makes the CLAIM has the burden of presenting supportive evidence (in this case of medical research, citing prior studies is the method)? Even though you may call it an "estimation" or "extrapolation", the fact is you are presenting it to the World as if it's a PROVEN FACT supported by actual investigation, when it's merely calculations you ran. It's what any first-year science student calls "dry labbing", making claims without doing any of the work. (Sorry, Marv, but digging up figures from JW publications or MEDLINE articles doesn't constitute scholarship or scientific investigation. That's not how science works).

Anything less is simply demonstrating your own stubborn refusal to follow standards of scientific methodology.

Marvin said-

As for ethnicity, in the New Zealand region there is a factor to consider regarding Maori, but this is adjusted for within the Beliaev study and it’s the findings of the Beliaev study driving my extrapolation.

So fine, the study supposedly accounted for the response of Maori JWs, but you don't KNOW that they actually respond MORE or LESS FAVORABLY to refusal of blood transfusions than European JWs or American Black JWs, or even how they respond to other conditions which cause anemia (such as sickle cell disease? Thallassemia?). You don't KNOW, but you're willing to ASSUME that it's the same, when in fact it MAY NOT.

Marvin said-

Otherwise I’ve made assumptions atop assumptions that, if anything, minimize the number of deaths due to Watchtower’s blood doctrine using the Beliaev data set.

We're getting somewhere by getting you to see that you're making assumptions. Now if youd only be able to see the uncertainty associated with your conclusion, we'd be moving forward....

Marvin said-

I recommend readers interested in this rather unique work authored by Beliaev and colleagues take time to review the original presentation in whole, and also their response to criticisms leveled by Shander and Isbister.

And you DO realize that the uniqueness of this study (as you say) doesn't work in your favor, right? A study that is "unique" or "one of a kind" is the converse of confidence-inspiring to anyone who understands science, since it means other scientists haven't validated its results.

Marvin said-

Assumptions matter for one reason, so readers can understand what’s being said. From what I’ve read of your complaints you neither understand assumptions I’ve made nor care to. That’s why I’ve not responded to more often than I have to what you’ve said.

Well, you probably don't care that I actually got a response from Dr. Beliaev, and he's glad that others have taken note of his study and are publicizing the results. If you want to get into the conversation, send me a PM and I'll send him your e-mail address (or I can cc you on the next exchange, etc). He's a generous and friendly fellow, and willing to discuss his results.

Adam

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“You have done what no other researcher has ever done - and in that regard your methodology is unique:

“Extrapolated from one country - New Zealand - to worldwide estimates, ignoring the variability of health treatment utilization both within countries and between them.”

steve2,

Of course I’ve done what no researcher has done before, and I’ve done it for one reason and one reason only:

The study by Beliaev is the only one known to me that allows any opportunity at all to extrapolate a worldwide statistic on deaths due to Watchtower’s blood doctrine!

I don’t like this any more or less than anyone else, but it’s the only one with a population sufficiently captured that also shares mortality of JWs in that population suffering death due to refusing blood. Hence my approach to maintain conservative assumptions at every turn in order to avoid making an overstatement.

“The "danger" is your conclusions have the superficial appearance of being well thought through until the reader looks squarely at the assumptions regarding accessibility of health care treatment.”

Readers who do not look squarely at the assumptions stated with the extrapolation have only themselves to blame for reading something into an extrapolation that’s not there. Stating assumptions, whether implicitly or explicitly is done for a purpose. This is what communicates the extrapolation made.

Otherwise you fail to account that the JW patients in the Beliaev group are just as likely to come from an array of socio-economic circumstances as are JWs anywhere else in the world who enter a given healthcare system, only in New Zealand we have a higher tide floating socio-economic boats because of a better than average healthcare system.

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“We're getting somewhere by getting you to see that you're making assumptions”

Adam,

Respectfully, it’s blather like that coming from you that led me to ignore nearly all your postings in this discussion. If you took time to read my article you’d see that assumption is presented as part of the extrapolation.

Otherwise, I don’t see anything new from you.

Marvin Shilmer

• adamah
    adamah

Marvin said-

Respectfully, it’s blather like that coming from you that led me to ignore nearly all your postings in this discussion. If you took time to read my article you’d see that assumption is presented as part of the extrapolation.

Really? The headline in your faux newspaper reads:

"More than 50,000 dead!"

Why not something a little more closer what an extrapolation (even one that is valid) implies:

"More than 50,000 dead?"

Oh, did you ignore this:

Well, you probably don't care that I actually got a response from Dr. Beliaev, and he's glad that others have taken note of his study and are publicizing the results. If you want to get into the conversation, send me a PM and I'll send him your e-mail address (or I can cc you on the next exchange, etc). He's a generous and friendly fellow, and willing to discuss his results.

He's friendly, and doesn't bite....

Adam

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

So Marvin, you haven't responded the the problems discussed by Isbister in "Apples and Oranges" . I thought I would at least get a comment on why you don't think his criticisms are invalid.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Marvin's response to that appears to be that Beliaev's article was criticised not once but twice, and in mathematics two negatives multiplied make a positive, so there.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Gotcha. New math

• adamah
    adamah

SBF said-

Marvin's response to that appears to be that Beliaev's article was criticised not once but twice, and in mathematics two negatives multiplied make a positive, so there.

And for different reasons, where both noted different flaws in the study (which others here have noted, as well).

So in Marvin's mind, since the critics found DIFFERENT problems, BOTH critics can be safely dismissed!

Adam

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Marvin, with all due respect, you have thrown in the towel on this one.”

Suraj Khan,

Not necessarily thrown in the towel, but I have tired of participants complaining of lack of responses when the problem is they failed to read the response when they were made. In short, I tire of repeating things to people who don’t want to read and research for themselves.

At the end of the day, my work on the question of how many JWs have died the result of Watchtower’s blood doctrine is the first of its kind with any bases in hard facts. Those facts many not be as extensive as we’d like them to be, and they may not be as readily transposed onto a world scale as we’d like them to be, but they’re there nevertheless, and they’ve never been there before.

This is an aspect of Beliaev’s work I think not a single person here realizes for what it is. If they did, and if they understood things they say they understand, then they’d be seeking ways to make use of the data (regardless of Beliaev's finding on costs etc!) in relation to JWs suffering increased mortality due to refusing blood.

Anemia is the result of a broad spectrum of disorders, and JWs are just as susceptible to these as the rest of the population. Only when it comes to these disorders JWs have an increased risk because they are taught to refuse a therapy known to lower the risk.

In addition to the above, JWs have multiple risks of developing anemia because they refuse blood in response to any and all medical presentations. Hence JWs have the additional risk of developing anemia purely because of a religious doctrine!

For JWs these layers push morbidity and mortality risks through the roof! Has anyone here taken a look at mortality risk for JWs due to due to obstetric hemorrhage? Guess what? Hemorrhage leads to severe anemia, and people die from this whether obstetric or otherwise! Only, before Beliaev’s study we didn't have a broad review of severe anemia combined with blood refusale. We only had, for instance, research on mortality risk increase due to blood refusal combined with severe anemia related to obstetrics. Well, guess what? As it turns out you don’t have to deliver a baby to have increased risk of dying from anemia by refusing blood.

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“So Marvin, you haven't responded the the problems discussed by Isbister in "Apples and Oranges" . I thought I would at least get a comment on why you don't think his criticisms are invalid.”

LisaRose,

I advised readers to get it from the horse’s mouth. Beliaev and his colleagues wrote a response to Isbister and it should speak for itself to anyone who cares to read it.

Marvin Shilmer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit