250,000 Jehovah's Witnesses have died refusing blood

by nicolaou 739 Replies latest watchtower medical

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

slimboyfat " AWAA strikes again. Will someone put it out its misery?"

Why don't you check your facts buddy. Got a problem with AAWA, you have a problem with me.

• Terry
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mmm okay braincleaned. AWAA should be put out of its misery.

TD it wouldn't be the first time Watchtower leaders in their ivory tower in New York set rules that disproportionately harm ordinary Witnesses in far away lands: in Nazi Germany, Malawi in the 1970s, Greece, Georgia and so on.

• Simon
    Simon

braincleaned: I understand you may be an AAWA supporter, that doesn't mean others are not allowed to have their own opinion that differs to yours.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

After many pages of this tiresome, yet useful thread, I conclude again what I've concluded before:

a) It's impossible to determine exactly how many JW's have died unecessarily as a direct consequence of their refusal to accept blood for doctrinal objection to it.

b) To claim that 250.000 JW's have died as a result of strict adherence to this doctrine is therefore an unverifiable claim; plus, by empirical observation, it's clearly a gross exxageration;

c) To claim that even 50.000 JW's have died as a result of strict adherence to this doctrine is also a baseless claim, because it requires completely unnaceptable extrapolations from tiny numbers in one tiny regional study that cannot be anywhere close to a faithful sample of the world's population, much less of the entire JW community world-wide. Again, empirical observation doesn't agree with this number either.

d) In all likeliness, the number of actual JW deaths that can be truly qualified as 'unnecessary' and a 'direct consequence of blood refusal', and each of these being a product of 'strict adherence' to the WTS 'blood doctrine', while impossible to determine accurately, it's a much, much lower number than both estimations that have been discussed.

e) This is not to say that one death isn't one death too many. The doctrine is wrong, is harmful, and requires public awareness. But ultimately, if other constitutional rights on personal freedoms are to be respected, so is the right to self-determination towards one's body.

f) Lastly, by making such a tweet as a member of AAWA, Ms. JB. not only payed a disservice to AAWA, further undermined its already shakey credibility, contributed to the denegrition of all other Watchtower's sincere critics (aka 'apostates'), fueled the GB's claims that apostates will use every lie and deceit to fight 'God's True Channel", and, most of all, did nothing but purposedly intenting to spark hatred in the public opinion upon common JW's who choose to remain as such.

So, well, done, Ms. JB! Way to go. What an asset you are to your organization.

Eden

• Laika
    Laika

I do not think it is fair to say/suggest the Witnesses are a 'more deadly cult' than Jonestown or the Branch Davidians. I know it seems clear that more JWs have died due to the blood transfusion rule than in those other groups, but the percentages are much lower. This kind of statement sounds to me like when the Society says 'More people have died in earthquakes in the 20th century than any before it' which always ignores the significantly higher population levels today.

I wish I had not been raised a JW and I am very pleased I never needed a blood transfusion, but given the choice of doing it all over again or growing up a member of Jonestown I think it is obvious which group we would all choose, and saying JWs are more deadly and thus suggesting that the Governing Body's rules are more life threatening to their group's members than Jim Jones must make us appear ridiculous to secular media.

I am a member of AAWA's facebook group btw, and have made quite a few facebook 'friends' through the group so I am not anti-AAWA, just sharing my opinion on this one subject.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Controversial statement alert:

I have a sneaking suspicion that JWs have caused more extra deaths by suicide among their ranks than deaths from refusing blood. While many of us struggle to think of anyone who has died from refusing blood, most of us know JWs or former who have committed suicide. There have been a number in our congregation alone, indeed a few on this forum too. If anything could qualify JWs as a death cult that might.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I have a sneaking suspicion that JWs have caused more extra deaths by suicide among their ranks than deaths from refusing blood.....SBF

..........................................................................................Somebody Shut Him Up!..

................................................................................He`s going to Cause a Shit Storm!!..

..................................................................................................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Simon
    Simon

I have a sneaking suspicion that JWs have caused more extra deaths by suicide among their ranks than deaths from refusing blood. While many of us struggle to think of anyone who has died from refusing blood, most of us know JWs or former who have committed suicide. There have been a number in our congregation alone, indeed a few on this forum too. If anything could qualify JWs as a death cult that might.

I think you may be right, it wouldn't surprise me if the numbers were quite similar (based on nothing more than gut feeling).

I guess you could claim that refusing necessary medical treatment is a form of suicide though (which would make suicide a bigger cause of death).

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Well said EdenOne the the most accurate analysis of this topic as well the indirect consequences of over bloating a claim

that has the potentiality to ruin and weaken the oppositional intents of creating public awareness to this most damaging and false doctrine

by the WTS./JWS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit