It appears the Ex-JW community is having a huge impact on the way funerals are being handled at the KH

by StoneWall 12 Replies latest jw friends

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Just wanted everyone to know that I got back today/night from my second JW funeral in less than 3 months and that both of them (2 different halls),were handled completely different than in times past.

Used to be it seemed like a recruitment opportunity (as many of you have pointed out before), but these last two times it was totally different from previous times. It didn't seem like they used the outline at all that had been posted in another thread a while back.
    That was kinda interesting and refreshing at the same time to actually hear them focus more on the individual that had passed instead of only a few minutes about them and the rest all about the Org. (WT)

Anyways just wanted to share that and see if anyone else had noticed a difference or if it was just coincidence.

P.S. I haven't been to any other meetings in over 3 years (including the Memorial each year) and basically have missed almost all for going on near 5 years. It felt very odd them coming over to say they missed me (yeah right) and to show me the new revised NWT bible.
    I'm betting I'll get another "Shepherding call" out of this.
    There's only a few left now that when they die that I'll go to their funeral even if its at the KH, so I don't see myself going again for sometime.

Hope everyone here has been doing OK

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

I went a jw funeral a few weeks ago of a close friend's mum had died. The only mention of their teaching was a mention of this persons love of 'the truth' and the hope she had of the resurrection. The rest of the service was focused on the life of the person. It was presented by the deceased BIL who is an elder...

• prologos
    prologos

JW will realise that their most important moment after death is being cheapened by wt propaganda .

Here ther are cases where the living will included orders not to hold KH services.

One of our neighbours told the long time visiting JW , (who is a gentle individual) not to return, after the brother proffered WT death related broshures fter the death of the "visit's" wife.

JWs WT does not realize how important death is in the life process. they cheapen it by their denial,

The hope of the resurrection promise that neither the WT Inc nor JWs CAN GUARANTEE, a story never proven except perhaps in fiction.

In these parts, videos were produced and shown at the KH of the high lights, even projects of the deceased, of prominent families of course, but its a start

• Mahtaw
    Mahtaw

I sure hope so. My grandmother is getting older and id hate to sit through a meeting while I'm greiving instead of stories about her colorful character.

• designs
    designs

The Tin Men were given a heart.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Stone Wall, I am pretty sure that it is not the ex-JW community impact. There are many caring people among JW's, and when one of them is the elder delivering a "memorial" talk for a member cares enough, he may defy instructions and eulogize a person properly. Because of the sorrow occasion, he doesn't get in trouble typically.

Plus, they have had the examples of tossing out the outline for Governing Body members and other important JW's to go by.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

The funerals we've attended in the past ten years or so have been held in funeral homes - not at the KH.

This seems to give the 'minister' greater freedom with the words spoken. These funerals have been less 'funeral talk' (I've always dispised how that sounds) and more of a rememberance. Of course the deceased's activity as a JW is highlighted and usually mixed with a couple of experiences - often times humorous.

ginger

• rmt1
    rmt1

Is it a standing default, sort of the rule, that a funeral talk is in a KH? I recall none in a secular / civic / real world venue.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I heard from a recent attender (xJW) attended a JW funeral. Was much more personalized, with several slides.

I wonder if there is an unspoken consideration, that the resurrection may not be so soon afterall.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It is not a set rule to have a "funeral" or "memorial" talk at the KH. You have to request the KH, and that means they could say no.

They tend not to say no, but it also means that people are free to choose a funeral home or other venue for their talk. Keep in mind that "status" has everything to do with it, typically. Also keep in mind that even when status is unimportant, the KH is free. An inexpensive cremation with no other services from a funeral home, a lovely picture of the deceased at the Hall, and a infomercial talk from some elder is a very budget way to go, plus they won't put pressure on you at a time of loss if you simply do it their way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit