As A JW, Did You Get Involved In Politics At All?

by minimus 10 Replies latest social current

• minimus
    minimus

Since JWs are to be no part of the world, it would seem implausible that any Witness would even talk about political preferences.

After being on this site for over a decade, it seems to me that there are a number of closeted political junkies.

Were you vocal at all about politics and about the town/city/state or country that you were in?

• undercover
    undercover

Not really. I did try to stay neutral, but I had opinions. I just kept them to myself and didn't make comments very often. I would make a comment here and there around people I knew who felt the same way or who were a little more open minded than the average run-of-the-mill, brain dead dub. Keep low and outa sight was my motto as a dub. If you didn't make waves, you could pretty much go about your business without much bother...up to a point anyway

• minimus
    minimus

UNDERCOVER, Thank Jehovah you are still alive!

• cantleave
    cantleave

I used to follow debates and have always prefered liberal policies to conservative ones, but never voted or discussed ny personal views.

• minimus
    minimus

Well, many of us are political junkies now!

• designs
    designs

undercover- your view sums it up, we hid our feelings and opinions. Now I can vote openly.

• minimus
    minimus

Of course, it's up to a JW's "conscience" to vote, according to the Watchtower!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Ha! My mom worked in factories before unioinization. Bethel figures selected my father or his brawn b/c he shored up coal mines during the UMW battles in PA and W VA. Indeed, my gf first settled in Colorado and may have been driven east by the Rockefeller massacre of innocent women and children in the Colorado mine fields. The dates coincide. My father had a union outlook. He believed that the JW should do charitable works, particulary for other JWS in need. I believe he was a covert union, Hubert Humphrey branch of the Democratic party while he was at Bethel. I was raised union but never reveal it to a JW.

My father held union posts in NJ while attending KH and field service. It was not discussed.

I sneaked out of my parents' home to work in Eugene McCarthy's campaign at fifteen. My one request was that they never call me at home which they violated. Fortunately, I was visting relatives during the 1968 Chicago convention. My father was upset at the downturn for HHH that he was physically ill. He knew I was intereste in politics.

I found out that the retail version is boring. The locals tend to be control freaks. My law school contacts enabled me to jump past that level. It was fun after that. Political Science was my college major but that had to do with not having many prerequisites as other majors. I feared I would end up with it and I did.

I wonder what I would be like today if my early influences were not so mixed. Believe or die. Well, secretly believe this. I heard that Jehovah and the org are not the same repeatedly. This prob. made it easier for me to leave and disobey. My relatives found out with time. They still loved me and spoke with me. IN fact, I felt my JW relatives were much more behind me than non JW relatives. Ony it could never be openly acknowledged. So they knew I was i law school, studying public interest and corporate law, but I knew nothing. The org. knew how best to deal with landlord and dental problems.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

With my JW brainwashing I felt that politics was and abomination. But I did vote for people running for office in my Union with the approval of one of the elders who said that was an entirely different matter. In about the past 8 years I have voted in all local and national elections though.

HappyDad

• minimus
    minimus

rebels

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit