Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

by Watchtower-Free 223 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

Tammy- you see how this compounds the problems for those arguing that the 'Jesus' character is the true Messiah don't you.

No. Please explain.

Peace,

tammy

• designs
    designs

First off he is trashing Moses then he goes on to trash the reliablity of the very text that he claims supports his messiahship claims and it goes downhill from there.

• tec
    tec

Nothing in those words has Christ trashing Moses. Not even a tiny bit. He simply spoke the truth as to why Moses gave that law to the people... their own hard hearts. (and that is nothing new to be said to Israel, the prophets all said the same thing against Israel)

The Jews were following those texts... but failed to see that they witness to Christ... something they would know if they were listening to God and to the same Spirit that the prophets who witnessed to Him listened to, rather than relying upon their own interpretation and reason and tradition.

Not all the Jews, mind you. Those who belonged to Christ and followed Him from the start WERE ALL Jews.

Peace,

tammy

• designs
    designs

'Moses gave the Law to the people' you don't see the problemo there, ok.

• tec
    tec

Moses gave you "this" law (the one on divorce, and that implies that there are others that he gave because of the hard-heartedness of the people, allowances being made for them)... It doesn't take away from the commandments or the law that God gave. Only that some laws were given because of the hard hards of the people who could/would hear/do no better.

Peace,

tammy

• designs
    designs

ok you don't see it.

• kassad84
    kassad84

Of course you don't want to disprove it: you want to let your pre-accepted conclusion lead the actual evidence (and at least you're honest enough to admit that you want to believe what you want to believe). Hence you're not going to let little inconvenient things (like historical evidence and facts, or even understanding what your own Holy Bible says!) get in your way!

Well I guess I am more concerned about authors who are already atheists in the first place and what they eventually write will create (intended or intended) biases that will support their already decided positions. I will have to look through these authors and pick those who wrote with an unbiased approach (if that is even possible)

• adamah
    adamah

Kassad said-

Well I guess I am more concerned about authors who are already atheists in the first place and what they eventually write will create (intended or intended) biases that will support their already decided positions. I will have to look through these authors and pick those who wrote with unbiased approach (if that is even possible).

The truth is the truth, regardless of who says it.

You seemingly think it is worthwhile to limit yourself to reading ONLY the opinions of "unbiased" authors, as if that even matters, or is in fact desirable!

Here's an idea (that you may not have considered):

How about EXPECTING ALL authors to have certain biases, but then plan on using YOUR OWN judgment and reasoning capabilities to reach YOUR conclusion, after weighing ALL available evidence to examine all sides of an issue in a comprehensive manner?

That's how most people examine their beliefs, rather than pre-screening to filter out all the opinions that just might challenge "their" cozy and beloved beliefs. The latter is an approach used by the WT, and it persists in many ex-JWs.

In regards to the topic of this thread, I've looked a bit into Atwill's thesis in the past few days, and he's got a TON of evidence to overcome, in my opinion, to discard the current consensus of Bible scholars of a multi-source writing of the Gospels. I'll keep an open mind to see this "new evidence" he's supposedly got and will be presenting, but my personal BS meter is going off the scale and it's pegged since we've been down this road before with authors hyping a book (whether to theists or to atheists).

I'm not skeptical because I WANT it to be true or DON'T want it to be true: I'm skeptical simply because I'm a SKEPTIC, and let the evidence lead to the conclusions.

Adam

• kassad84
    kassad84

How about EXPECTING ALL authors to have certain biases, but then plan on using YOUR OWN judgment and reasoning capabilities to reach YOUR conclusion, after weighing ALL available evidence to examine all sides of an issue in a comprehensive manner?

Yes, but aside from applying judgement and reasoning capabilities and trusting on your own abilities, i also have these personal experiences of God, unexplainable, maybe even ridiculous if told (which I am doing right now). Prayers quickly answered in a day, signs of forgiveness shown on early mornings when nobody else is around, birds landing and seemingly peeking on your office window on the top floor many times for a period of days, reminding you everytime of the Sermon in the mount, things like these, simple, ridiculous, coincidental to most, but for me are signs of the Divine.

As one man once said, "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

cheers Adam! :)

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I shall keep an eye on this story, I don't think I'll waste my time going to the event though.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Are you not aware of the idiocy of that statement?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

How can you "keep an eye" on something you won't even "keep an eye" on?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit