Demons in a coffee shop? How would you react?

by laverite 18 Replies latest social humour

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Yep — like Smiddy says. I'm not easoly fooled.

• steve2
    steve2

Once you submit to the demons and let them take over, they're really very nice. True!

A demon who possessed me some years ago did my landscaping for me; unfortunately, like all good things, it did not last. He said, "Next time, you pay". I asked, "With what?" "Your soul!", he answered, "I'm a Witness - I don't have one sucker" I declared. He left and never came back.

Now I'm stuck. I had prayed in vain to Jehovah for years for help with landscaping and the answer was always the same: "Too busy with the King of the North!"

I felt like putting on a sandwich board, "Human available for demon possession" but the available demons have fled.

Like I used to say to my co-pioneer, "You can't blame us for reluctantly pushing this strange message about 'this generation wil never pass away'. She was prescient; she said, "Don't sweat it Steve; in years to come, they'll be talking about 'overlapping generations'. If you think we push shit now, wait till then; you'll really be conscious of shovelling shit".

I never forgave Janine for her needlessly offensive language - and from a pioneer. It almost stumbled me and still hurts. But boy she was right on the money! Where are the freaking demons when you need them? Too busy possessing people with souls. If only I had one I could shovel this shit without moaning.

• latinthunder
    latinthunder

That is SO cool!

• Robert7
    Robert7

I love it! This just shows that even in extreme cases like this, don't fall for blaming or attributing demons, gods, spirits, etc for thing unexplained. Imagine in Bible days, those magicians who developed great slight of hand tricks were specifically labeled as being controlled by demons, and were labeled negatively as "practicers of magic".

This still would have freaked me out, but I personally would not have immediately been blaming spirits either...

• j dubb
    j dubb

My first thought would be that it was a staged promotional stunt for Agents of Shield or something...there are so many of these youtube stunts now that the skepticism of the public should be increasing exponentially...

• steve2
    steve2

As Richard Dawkins has so often said, "We worship gaps in our knowledge". Once those gaps are explained, we no longer fall for superstitious explanations. This is like a modern-day variation on how tribal peoples fell to their knees in terror about their gods when they first saw planes.

• laverite
    laverite

Steve2 - beautifully said. Very profound and succinct at the same time.

• glenster
    glenster

I'd have run--a remake of Carrie? When that bucket of pigs blood hits Sissy Spacek in the head--fire, firehoses, etc.--it's fierce. Sure Meryl Streep has done a few things, but let's see her do them after you hit her in the head with a bucket of pigs blood.

M.Adler has a more sympathetic philosophy for the basic God idea. "Worships that beyond what we know aka nothing" is what Dawkins does and says believers do which he doesn't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOIAhDKsxc

Mortimer's stance doesn't simplify to "look at the cosmos--beyond it is known nothing." It simplifies to "look at the cosmos--it's all just so unnecessary," which I also think is funnier.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

That must be some damn good coffee. I'll have what she's having!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit