Silentlambs--ELDER LIABILITY ALERT!!!

by Investigator 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• larc
    larc

Frenchy and Scorpian,

What I took Scorpian to mean was that if you said that, they would give you your freedom, meaning you would be out of the Org. where freedom does exist. Of course, I may have misinterpreted the "word according to Scorpian."

This is a touchy time for Frenchy. How do you think you will handle the upcoming Elder meeting, Frenchy? You could lie, but even though I can be a pretty slick weasle when I want to, I don't know if I could lie to the two direct questions they are going to put to you.

I think I'm going to go listen to some Zydeco to get my mind off the subject, soul brother. "Although they play it slow, I love that Zydeco, oh yes I know, I love that Zydeco." hey you rah

• Xandit
    Xandit

I think you nailed it ISP. I believe it would be difficult to establish that Elders had a legal obligation to make an announcement to the congregation giving the specifics of such a matter. In fact, you can get into legal trouble making such an announcement if you're not very careful. I know of a church in Oklahoma that was bankrupted in a case like that.

• ianao
    ianao

Hope things turn out well for you Frenchy...

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

larc

When I was an elder I explained to a mother why it was more important being a Witness than having a relationship with her four children that were disfellowshipped and I did it with a straight face. I also had to explained to MY df'd mother why I couldn't have anything to do with her as well. I went to the hospital with sister who had an unbelieving husband and told the doctor that she was prepared to die instead of taking the blood. I stayed with her husband during the operation and recovery. That was a tense situation. I don't think that man likes me very much.
    I had to explain to my unbelieving brother-in-law and his very irate mother in a hospital waiting room full of people why my sister-in-law was choosing death and leaving him and their two small children rather than take a bone-marrow transplant. I have to say that it was very difficult trying to make it sound like it was the right thing to do!
    I was out in service one day and I called on a family that had just received word that their son had been killed in Vietnam Nam just hours ago. The mother, surrounded by the father and more of her children, looked at me through teary eyes and said, "Oh, please, if you're a minister would you please pray for us, you have no idea of how much we're hurting." I had to explain to her why it was a sin for me to pray for them in their hour of grief. I don't think I'll ever forget the look of disgust on their faces for refusing them that prayer. Thirty minutes later we were picked up by the police and brought in for questioning. I can't imagine why. Maybe somehow they didn't think we were Christians!
    I did some government sponsored work for a dear old lady who became endeared to us during the course of our work. She had us meet all her children who in turn expressed their gratitude for the consideration we were giving their aged mother and thanking us for going beyond what the work called for in taking care of her needs. One day one of her daughters called me long distance to tell me that they were giving their mother a very special birthday party (The old lady was in her nineties) and that all of her children wanted me there because she often spoke of me and they had come to think of me as family. I had to explain to her daughter how sinful it would be for me to go to that old lady's birthday party.
    A sister in our congregation lost a daughter and then about a year later while waiting any minute for a phone call to tell her that her oldest son was dead got, instead, news that her youngest child had just been killed in a freak accident. She asked me to do the funeral but after one of the elders (the one gunning for me) raised so much protest I called the C.O. After a brief chat with him I had to tell that old lady that the presiding overseer of the congregation that she help to found would not be able to do the funeral for her son. I had to explain to other people at the funeral why it was that I, as the mother's minister, was standing on the sidelines while a stranger, a minister from Babylon the Great was doing the funeral discourse for the son of a woman who had been a witness there for over thirty five years.
    So you see, larc, I'm used to dealing with difficult situations. In light of what I have already had to do, I don't think that answering those two questions will pose much of a problem for me. I've been trained by the best in the fine art of deception, of making the absurd seem Christian-like. Knowing their mindset I don't foresee a problem at all.
    Thank you for your concern. I really do appreciate it. I'm appalled at how people such as you and I, who are only virtually acquainted with each other, seem to have more respect and feeling for one another than the people with whom we have been associated with for a lifetime have for one who simply chooses another road.
    I liked the lifestyle of Jehovah's Witnesses. I like the idea of living a clean, moral life. I don't mind the work involved. I don't mind devoting all my weekends to service and the meetings. I don't mind traveling at least once a month out of town to give Public Talks, or taking the time to organize people for my work assignment at the Circuit Assemblies and the District Conventions and the time spent working up schedules for the Service Meeting and the Public Talk schedule, going to a quick build from time to time. I don't mind the hundred other things that kept me busy every day. That's not what drove me away.
    Bad doctrines, intolerance, arrogance, the callousness and vindictiveness of the leadership did.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• ianao
    ianao

Frenchy, your words of wisdom have hit home.

(recovering from the blow)

• LDH
    LDH

Frenchy

What a great post. Just a question; I didn't understand the paragraph about why you couldn't give the funeral talk. Were the children DFd or something?!?!

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Thank you Ianao, LDH.
    Yes, the deceased son was df'd. I'm sorry, I should have stated that.
    We went back to the sister's house after the funeral to give her some moral support. One of her daughters, aslo df'd, went to her own house for fear that her presence there with her grieving mother and sisters would make the witnesses uneasy. As it turned out there were only a couple of us there anyway. About an hour after getting home, the old lady was exhausted from the funeral and from crying for two days. One of the grandaughters gave her a mild sedative and just as she got to her bedroom the phone rang. It was the news that her oldest son had just died. This one was in good standing so I was able to do his funeral. All that did was cause even more confusion. The 'worldly' people wanted to know why I could do one and not the other. Very bad PR.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I enjoyed your post too Frenchy and I wish you well.

I don't think few things sober anyone up to the reality of how things really work like a trip to the back room does. While you don't expect difficulties, you know that most rules go out the window and you have no means of ensuring their accountability.

If you feel you have the heavenly hope, you can remind them that YOU are the Faithful and Discreet Slave, so why should you doubt them? And if they doubt or question you, then how are they really treating Christ's brothers?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but maybe it will show them just how ridiculous the concepts they hold to are. Personally I'd do whatever possible to avoid meeting with them.

Path

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

stupid double post.. oops :)

Edited by - pathofthorns on 13 February 2001 20:55:18

• Simon
    Simon

They're tough experiences Frenchy...hope things go well for you.
    I wonder sometimes whether we do the wrong thing for the right reasons or the right thing for the wrong reasons. Maybe we do the wrong thing for the wrong reason but with the best of intentions at heart.
    I look back at some of the things I've done and feel so ashamed. I remember telling my Dad I didn't want anything to do with him. I never called or wrote even when he was undergoing major heart bypass surgery. I will always, always regret and fell bad about that. Having kids myself now and being on the wrong end of the shunning thing by others makes me realise how hard it was on him but he has never made me feel bad about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit